Cory seems sick

When I feed the cories is it ok to put a bit of novotab in the gravel? Or just feed all the fish bug bites or put a novo tab on the glass?

limnophilia sessiliflora, or some cryptocorynes. The first one never grows. I have to keep replacing it when it finishes surviving in 3 weeks or so. I looked at the cryptocorynes. They are $15 each. They look like java fern but I guess they grow in the gravel. I don't know if the light would be enough. But I could try one I suppose.

I'm just now diluting the salt from the tank slowly. Will try to catch the Cory I guess in a couple of weeks when the salt is less and take him to the local fish shop? I looked on seriously fish. Little bit complicated website

What's complicated about it? Type the name of the fish in the search box, then read the profile. It is often better to use the scientific name as common names vary. If SF doesn't find it, I can usually get there by using google or other search engine and type "seriously fish neon tetra" or whatever fish I want to look up

Ignore the text in the orange boxes in the profiles on Seriously Fish. Those orange boxes are Amazon ads and can be misleading.

The ammonia reads at between 0 and 0.25ppm. Its a bit more yellow than the last time I checked. Maybe it 0.20
The nitrite is 0. It's blue no mistaking it
Looks like nitrate is 0 as well.

How is the sickly cory doing now? Did he pass away, about the same state, or improving?
I'm considering this now. I think I'll keep the gravel substrate. I'll try something other than cories and rehome the remaining cory. I'll still have to wait now for taking the salt dilution process and then wait another two weeks before I get anything else. The tetras. I could maybe get a few more. I'm not sure what other fish to get now. I'll research and read up on everything you have sent through

Adding a few more phantom tetra would be a good idea, after the waiting period if no more get sick and pass away, and yes, better not to get cories again if you want to stick to the gravel substrate. Once you're returned the corie(s), the two weeks - a month after that, then it would be worth making another thread asking for advice about what else you could potentially stock your tank with, and people will be glad to make suggestions then, or give feedback on any other fish you're interested in.

But definitely see how things go with this sickly cory first and return those, remember our advice about not cleaning filter media under the tap, and see if you can get another fast growing live plant or two, if they're not insanely expensive! Looking for trimmings sold by other hobbyists, or bargains on Etsy or Amazon, or local hobby groups, might mean being able to find some plants cheaper, or even free. Elodea, hornwort, guppy grass, any of the floating plants - any of those would help.

I think something may be wrong with either your testing, or your cycling, because it's a pretty well stocked tank, only has some water sprite and java fern so isn't massively planted, and yet your nitrAte readings are always 0-5ppm even with irregular and smaller changes. Did you bash about and really shaking up the second bottle for the nitrate testing? Because I'd have expected different numbers really.

Do you think that there is something in the water that is killing the fish? I will really bash the nitrate testing bottle tomorrow and test again. It does seem strange to me that it was 0. The Cory passed away so I'll take the other one back and wait a while to get a few tetras and then ask on here about what fish you could recommend. It's hard because I have a really bad memory. I can't remember what fish I see at the local fish shop and then which fish are recommended on here.

To be honest I don't know anything about cycling. I'm not sure what you mean by there is something wrong with my cycling. I thought I would have been cycled?

I'm just now diluting the salt from the tank slowly. Will try to catch the Cory I guess in a couple of weeks when the salt is less and take him to the local fish shop? I looked on seriously fish. Little bit complicated website

It shouldn't take weeks to dilute out the salt. Do daily water changes, increasing the amount changed each day, without re-adding any salt to the new water, and remove it as soon as possible that way. While salt is a useful med, it is a stressor, not great for plants for any longer than needed, or for the otherwise healthy fish to be in it longer than needed, and doesn't take much time to get them used to going back to freshwater, since they're freshwater fish naturally, not meant to live in salt or brackish water long term.

Then rehome the cory ASAP. Can return to store, or advertise in local fish groups for people that keep peppered cories and ask if they can take your additional one to join their group.

I am diluting out 10% for 1 week then 20% for another week then bigger water changes after that.

when you're no longer treating a sick fish, you're just keeping them in salt for longer than needed, which will add to stress and potentially affect the other fish, but it's your choice.

I've taken out about 8 litres for 2 days and today I have taken out first 8 litres and couple hours later another bucket 10 litres. I'm trying to speed it up without harming the fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back