Convict and other fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Synatix7

Reaction score
Whats up guys im new to this forum, i just bought two convict fish (male and female) today, i want to put some bala sharks in the tank, would the convicts and the bala sharks get along? and what other type's of fish would the convicts get along with? Oh and when they eventually have fry, what do i do? take em all out and do what with them?

Thanks,
Mark

if you're breeding them they can get very aggressive and are best off in a tank on there own.. from what I've read they should always be left in with fry to rear them as without the parents fry will most likely die.

I have one female convict in with a variety of fish in a 55 gallon tank. (Soon to be 180gallon)

IMO though I would not put a male and a female in a tank with any other types of fish. When they have fry they get extremely aggressive, so If you tank isn't huge I wouldn't advise it.

Bala sharks although they get large, are very timid and gentle fish. The convicts with fry, would constantly stress them out which will lead to diseases.

Jmo.

i have a 10 gallon tank right now, but upgrading very soon to atleast 40 gallons, if i cant put a male and a female convict together with some bala sharks ill prolly just just give one of the convicts to my brother for his 40 gallon tank, oh wait his tank is salt water, nvm ill just put the convicts in there own little tank by them selfs, and i dont really wanna breed the fish...so when FRY do eventually come what do you guys usally do with the fry? and how do you take them out of the tank?

even a 40 gallon tank is not large enough for bala sharks. Unfortunately they do get very big. I am upgrading to a 180 gallon soon for mine.

If you don't want fry, then i don't suggest getting a male and female. They are the "rabbits" of the fish world.

how much does a 180 gallon tank run, i bet pretty expensive?

I found one for about $1500.00 US Dollars not including the filters or heaters, but it includes the tank, oak stand, and oak canopy. I've been shopping around though, cause I really wanted black, (which you would think would be less expensive) but I haven't found anything as nice as the oak one yet.

Quit expensive after you buy the decorations and the filters and the heaters. I'm going to go with play sand though, so that will only be like 4.00 to fill the bottom at least!

It will be well worth the money though.

jesus going all out with this fish tanks and fish are an expensive thing lol.

it certainly can be, but you can save a lot of money if you are willing to shop second hand, check out the buy sell and swap section on here, or your local papers or classified websites. You can find some real bargains with everything included if you look around.

jump

Most reactions

Back