Clown loach attacking fish!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nidge

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just recently i have noticed one of my clown loaches attacking other fish, This is the first time i have noticed this in a clown loach. I first noticed it about a week ago when i seen him chasing a RTB shark (yes a red tail black shark) he was going nuts to get him then i seen him go for my big texas cichlid.

I dont know if its the same loach because i have nine but it looks like the same one. I caught a little bit of video footage but i dont know where i can post it.
I have kept clowns for years and have never seen anything like this.
It doen't happen around feeding time its completely random.
What are your opinions on this and are your clowns like this?

All of my loaches are dark coloured. What difference do you think that would make?

All of my cichlids, gudgeons, and my badis change color depending on attitude, dark means angry, very light means sick, and in the middle is happy. My gudgeon also turns dark while eating large foods, like bugs. I heard that clowns get light colored when sick, so I'm assuming dark means angry :)

Wow, thats really strange Nidge. I've never heard of a Clown acting as violently as you describe. I know they can get a bit clumsy when playing, but this doesn't sound like playfull behavior at all. And going after a RTBS...? Thats a bit gutsy, even for a Clown. :blink:

Has anything happened in the tank to maybe change it's surroundings or anything? Are there any new arrivals in the tank? I'm sure your water parameters are fine, as I know you take excellent care of all your fish...

I dunno, I think I'm grasping at straws here, but this is quite interesting to me.

When they're feeling angry they turn dark coloured but normally it passes. The only thing you can do is leave it or you could catch the offending clown loach and put it in a breeding net not box.

When clown loaches are distressed or sparring, they usually do change colors. From what I've read and observed, the black stripes will go very grey and the dorsal fin will become erect. I don't realy know about them darkening in color. Here's a little article that might help you http://www.loaches.com/markings.html

Arashi said:
Wow, thats really strange Nidge. I've never heard of a Clown acting as violently as you describe. I know they can get a bit clumsy when playing, but this doesn't sound like playfull behavior at all. And going after a RTBS...? Thats a bit gutsy, even for a Clown. :blink:

Has anything happened in the tank to maybe change it's surroundings or anything? Are there any new arrivals in the tank? I'm sure your water parameters are fine, as I know you take excellent care of all your fish...

I dunno, I think I'm grasping at straws here, but this is quite interesting to me.
It is very strange and i couldn't believe it when i first saw it, I added a Gold severum last week that is the only thing that has changed. The water is perfect, Another thing i have noticed is that they are very vigorous at feeding time, They are eating as if they are starving, Im going to try and get proper footage of it later if i have the time, Thanks for your comments guys.

This is off topic, but how are they with the severum? I'm thinking of getting some clowns for my 55 gallon with a severum and some other fish. :)

Most reactions

Back