Cleaning my tank

Moving Shadow

Reaction score
Evening all! :D

Just a general question about cleaning a tank. I have an algae eater who have a huge appetite and keeps the glass clean as a whistle, but I want to give the gravel a good clean. -_-

So..... how do I do this without disturbing my fish too much (especially my PLeco who is of nervous disposition)?

My aquarium is heavily planted so there is relitavely little gravel showing.

Any thoughts? :unsure:

Laters

I'm sure there're others who will know much more about this topic than i do.. but I can tell you what I do.....

I think it is important to clean your gravel as the fishy waste and uneaten food accumulate down there which can lead to increased amonia.

Every second week while doing our water changes we vacuum up the gravel a bit.. at first the fish were a little freaked.. but in time they got used to it , so much so that by now we have a hard time vacuuming without sucking them up! :rofl: Nosey little buggars :p My plec just hides during that time but soon after is out and about as usual.

The benefits of vacuuming I think greatly outweigh the few seconds of 'commotion' in the tank.

good luck!
Valerie

note: if anyone disagrees with something i said.. please correct me!!

i do a gravel clean every time my fish are so used to it they nip at my hand i think if you do it all the time they just get used to it :kana:

Most reactions

Back