Clams anyone???

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I was bouncing around the www. & I've not gotten fish from this seller, so I have no idea how they are... I do have a trial order in, ( not for clams at this point ), but these look interesting... I might try a few... what do you guys think ( they have other clams too )

I've always found these interesting, but got put of at how easy they die.
I do have filter feeders but heard these can be difficult.
They are so cool though

They rely on a constant supply of free floating algae and plankton...

It's feels like at any point, your filter could turn into ammonia itself. I wouldn't want to be forced to supplement my filter's diet with infusoria or phytoplankton.

But, I can imagine puffers and loaches trying to eat the filter alive.

I'm thinking about a few in some of the tanks that I'm supplementing Bacter A E to build bio films, like shrimp tanks to start with... but I don't count on any animal doing my job as caretaker, & I always over filter my tanks, so I would be supplementing their food, or they would likely starve in most of my tanks... although I have been able to keep a Vampire shrimp ( also a filter feeder ) alive for the last year, in my African tank, & only began adding the Bacter A E 3-4 months ago... it comes out of its hidey hole like clockwork, after I add it, so it knows it's there... assume any clams would be similar...

some more general information...

Bacter AE is not supposed to be food, but my shrimps eat it directly too. It sure remains in the water layer a long time before falling down.

Those are Corbicula Asian clams.
The not-golden variety is an introduced species present in nearly all waterways in the USA and parts of Canada (primarily small creeks and rivers, but also lakes). An unfortunate un-intended import many decades ago. In fact, 2-3 species (Corbicula fluminea, fluminalis, and yet another).
They do need food, which is mainly algae. Without it, eventually they tend to die, but they can live for long times (months-years) before dying. They definitely do filter other things in the tank, eking a miserable life before they die.
People consider them a novelty and put them in their tanks. Even pay money for them.

Do you mean saltwater clams? I have a Deresa Clam in my little reef?

I had several salt water tanks, when I had tanks 20 years ago... ( but never bought clams... may have had a few small ones that came on live rock though )... but I'm trying to stay with fresh water in my "old age" ... I kinda like the little yellow ones I linked... thought maybe trying a few at 1st in my cherry shrimp tank???

This is one of the types of creatures that could be a problem environmentally. It is known as an invasive species. North American freshwater clams have reducing habitats. I would not bring these into my aquariums.

I'm pretty far from a natural waterway, & wouldn't raise them outside, where they could be transplanted by birds or raccoons etc. I don't do any aquarium maintenance outside... everything stays in my basement...

but it's definitely something a person should think about, weather you can keep them contained...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back