Cichlid ID help (warning, lots of images)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mikea

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone help me ID this fish? (white/clear? w/ spot near his eye)

fish7.jpg

To me it looks a lot like this fish

page34.jpg

What do you guys think? If this is the case, I'm betting this guy will not be very happy living in my mBuna tank with Johannis and Electric Yellow Labs.. :(

I'm also trying to figure out what the heck this guy is:

fish6.jpg

I went to the LFS and like an idiot, I told them I wanted to get cichlids, and listened to their advice.. Now I've got 1 aurtus, 1 red zebra, 1 albino zebra, 1 johanni, 2 ey labs, 1 red tail borleyi, 2 plecs, 3 unknowns, 1 convict, and believe it or not, a red tailed shark! (after 1 day of non stop torture, the cichlids seem to ignore the shark, I'm guessing he passed their initiation :D )

Now that I've done my homework, I'm planning on cutting this down to 5 Johannis (1 male, 4 fem), 5 yellow labs (1m 4f), and 1 plec.

Here's a picture of the other fish I'm trying to ID (rightmost orange fish) It's also got another view of the first one..

fish9.jpg

Here's another of the same two fish, except the orange one is showing his colors.. His bars usually get really dark whenever he's chasing someone out of his cave, other than that his stripes are almost non-existant.

fish10.jpg

hi Mikea,

The blue fish which is striped looks like a juvinile Maylandia Lombardio to me.

Sorry i cant id the other orange fish, as the picture isn't clear enough for me.

Gaza

looks like a brevis to me,it even has the little sunspot on the side of it's head.

did you give it any shells?

well i'm 1000% sure that's a brevis, but it looks like my "katabwe" instead of sunspot. peace......DEFINATELY get a few shells!!!!

the orange fish looks like a psuedotropheus estherae, red zebra. at times when the males are showing their colors the stripes can come out faintly. or certain angles you may notice them. nice colored fish.

semper fi

I do have one red zebra.. He's much more redish, almost gold fish color.. this guy is orangish brown, and his stripes vary from time to time.. sometimes you can barely see them, other times they're really dark brown, and very visable.

Mikea,

sorry i can't id the fish,but thought i'd pass on a bit of advice,get some female auraus in the tank or remove the fish (if its a male;blue in colour with stripe along body) before he gets too big and bad.

craw

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back