Chickens in an 845 square metre backyard

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I want to keep bantam chickens in my parents' backyard but I have to ask my mum and dad first and following one of their deals. The backyard is 845 square metres like my mum said. How big must the flock, run and coop be in that space in my backyard? The City of Melville poultry laws allows 12 hens in properties like mine.

What are the dimensions (length x width) of your backyard?
Are there any trees or shrubs in it?
What sort of fence is around the area?
Do cats or dogs come into your backyard?

What are the dimensions (length x width) of your backyard?
Are there any trees or shrubs in it?
What sort of fence is around the area?
Do cats or dogs come into your backyard?
I don't know but mum thinks the backyard is 845 square metres in size. There are trees and shrubs at the edging of the yard for shade. It's a new modern fence, not the old wire fence that we used to have. I have two dogs that come in the yard and that's my parents' dogs.

Dogs will normally attack and kill chickens so you will have to watch them. Some dogs can be trained no to attack them but once the chicken runs, the dogs will go after it.

Make sure there are no cats from around the neighbourhood that come into your yard because they can startle or attack the chooks.

Trees and shrubs are good because it gives the birds somewhere to hide if they get scared.

A new fence should help but you will have to go around it and check every little gap and block them up.

I'm terrible at sizes but I have a small back garden around 40feet wide by 60feet long. My intention is to have 2 ducks and 4 chooks in there. Without a cockerel to keep them in check chickens can be quite cliquey so I'd suggest getting them all from the same batch so you don't have to worry about if they'll get on.
I had two dogs with my chooks and the chooks ruled the roost, had to let the dogs out into the garden before the chickens were out in the am or the dogs would refuse to go into the garden. One was a lurcher (you wouldn't think chickens would last around one but no issue, the other was a lab). Consider your dogs temperaments, how do you think they'll be around the chickens?
Raptors! Are there any around? We once had a buzzard try to take our bantams.
Garden secure? Local dogs broke in and killed most of our chickens. It was the reason we stopped, we couldn't stop them breaking in.

A chicken requires about 8 sq feet of outside coup plus about 6 sq feet of indoor coop. The inside coup has other requirements. This would be for an area that has a winter season. The inside coop becomes optional with no winter but the birds still require some shelter.

Fencing should be 4 ft high and 5 is better. You will also need to clip wings. A typical backyard fence is not sufficient.

I think a sq meter is a bit more than 9 sq feet in American measurements which I have used.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back