Cherry shrimp babies

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Ieesha99

Reaction score
HELP šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve just received my cherry shrimp and thereā€™s is lots of tiny baby shrimp. Iā€™m currently drip accumulating them atm for a few hours but how am I gonna get the baby shrimp in the tank ? I know you arnt supposed to tip the water into your aquarium but in this case can I ? Itā€™s only a small amount of water what the sender sent the shrimp in.
Also another thing is that I was gonna put the shrimp into my big aquarium but I think the babies will just get eaten so Iā€™ve set up my aquael shrimp set up and used water from my big tank will this be okay for now ?

5206B187-8D06-4AA0-85FF-8D69F74B127E.jpeg

If itā€™s a new tank theyā€™ll be going in it should be fine to add with the water as theyā€™ll be the only creatures in that tank. Just make sure thereā€™s established filter media, plants, decorations etc in the tank from your big tank. You can use some trimmings from your limnophila and float them in the shrimp tank. Anything that has surface area will surely have beneficial bacteria and somewhere for the shrimp to graze and hide in. Use the moss balls as well theyā€™ll be perfect! Also a sponge filter would be the best option to have with baby shrimp if you donā€™t already have one. Whenever I rescape a tank I just dump as much stuff in a new holding tank from the existing tank to ensure I always have large amounts of beneficial bacteria present.

Edit - I think your shrimp should be fine with doing this I do it with amanos and fish when I rescape

Itā€™s a bit cloudy atm as Iā€™ve disturbed the sand but I have added the limophilia and added my moss balls and Iā€™ve also added some hydrophilia. And I do have a sponge filter
A3F8538B-1024-47BD-A70B-A68180B176CC.jpeg

Looking great! I doubt you will have any issues hopefully. The shrimp hide with the Java moss will be a perfect place for the baby shrimp to graze and hide in.

@Essjay is what I said in my first post a correct way to introduce shrimp to a new aquarium? I feel like Iā€™ve missed something and keep doubting myself.

A lot of people drip acclimate shrimps but I'm afraid I don't. But I agree that adding lots of decor (plants, rocks, wood, whatever is in the main tank) is a good idea. When I quarantine fish I don't use mature media but I do use elodea bought at the same time and floating plants from my main tank with a small internal filter filled with new filter floss to move the water round and catch any bits.
I bough some cherry shrimps for my main tank a few months ago, a mix of colours, and just netted them into the tank since they'd been in transit overnight. Now my tank has a lot of baby and juveniles both red and red rili. I've only found one dead adult since I got them, a red rili.

what has worked for me, both fish & shrimp... is to get my stuff together on a flat surface... I have several cheap dishpans that are dedicated for aquarium use... I rinse that out, the net, for that specific tank, and a plastic 2 cup handled cup, then place critter bags upright in the empty dish pan, & then grab a cup full of water from the aquarium the fish is going into... then I cut open the bag ( there has been some discussion that some of the ammonia is tied up, until you cut the bag open ( not sure if I totally buy that, but I do things this way just in case ) immediately, after I cut the bag open. I add the tank water, to the bag, & fill it mostly full... give it about 1 minute to blend temperature, Ph, & hardness, then pour the bag through the net ( over the dish pan, in case there is spillage ), & add the fish to the tank directly from the net... I'm sure I have never lost a critter, due to my acclimation process, and as long as the net is fine enough ( most fish tank nets would be ) this will work for your shrimp...

my own personal feeling is critters are exposed to temperature changes daily, in the wild, between shade & depth of the water... and likely exposed to Ph, & hardness changes every time it rains or if they swim by any inlet to their environment... so this method seems to work well... of course, there are critters that are more sensitive to changes than others, but I have never drip acclimated a critter ever, including fish places that tell me I must drip acclimate their fish... always with good results

Nothing helpful to add I'm afraid, as I'm new to shrimp keeping but just wanted to say this is so blooming cute!! Congratulations šŸ˜†

Nothing helpful to add I'm afraid, as I'm new to shrimp keeping but just wanted to say this is so blooming cute!! Congratulations šŸ˜†
Thank youu my best friend bought the tank 2 weeks ago and then decided she didnā€™t want it as she realised she hasnā€™t really got the time so lucky for me she let me have it šŸ˜† Iā€™m new to shrimp keeping too šŸ¦

Baby shrimp really need biofilm to graze on. Adults do too but it's even more important for the babies. So I 100% agree with what most have said about adding things from your established aqaurium. This video should help you out:

Most reactions

Back