england

channa aka snakehead
Reaction score
Common name/s:..... ornate snakehead/burmese spotted snakehead

Scientific name:......... Channa ornatipinnis

Family:.............. Channidae

Origin:.......... Irrawaddy and Sitang River basins Myanmar

Maximum size:......... 12",

Care:......... Your best of getting a group of these guy's....waiting for a pair to form, they will go through a aggressive stage at this point, but once a pair is

formed

your best rehoming<moving all other's from the tank, as they will more than likely kill all other's....They are easy to care for, no heater needed as there sub

tropical, lot's of hiding hole's/bogwood and a nicely planted tank,the more the better,including floating plant's...once the temp raise's to around 21-22c this

seem's to kick start them into breeding,my ph being 8.0-8.5, They do not like waterchange's to often so i reccomend preforming a 15-20% once a month

even still depending on

water qaulity draw it out to every two month's.....

Feeding:........ Live and frozen meaty foods of all kinds, earth worms and mealworm's dried all mine seem to love and chopped prawn's

Sexing:........... very difficult to sex, male's usually being bigger than the female, wider face

Breeding:...... Once a pair has formed breeding should come a while after, They lay there egg's in a nest at the suface, and brood care is similar to that of

cichlids, the fry can be fed on new born live bearer fry and small live foods..I grew mine up 100% on deshelled brineshrimp egg's and finely crushed dried

mealworm's/flake/hiraki gold mix.....

summary.....A Stunning snakehead to keep but i would reccomend these guy's being kept in a specie's tank to apprechiate there full beauty....

There is also a very close relative to these known as channa pulchra,but these have much more prominent black spots on head , always shows multi black

spots in dorsal fin, both these and the pulchra inhabit the hymalaya mountains, they are from a small area and not very many are thought to live in the wild

now as the stock's have been drained, so it's important to turn your hand at breeding these guy's thus leaving the wild stock alone to recover...

about a year ago they used to fetch price's around 150 pound's, now at a more reasonable price...

Adult's
021.jpg

todas756.jpg

january 27th 2009
EGG'S WERE LAID :hyper:
january 29th 2009
snake035.jpg

7/8th febuary 2009
todas751.jpg

todas874.jpg

10th febuary 2009<second small batch

todaywascold563.jpg

17th febuary 2009

dddddddddqqqqqqqqqqq034.jpg

11th march 2009
unclenellysnakeheadstodayyyyyyyy280.jpg

7th april 2009
todayistheday181.jpg

10th may 2009
dummdeeedummmber083.jpg

dummdeeedummmber053.jpg

10th june 2009
todayholiday2009031.jpg

todayholiday2009039.jpg

todayholiday2009041.jpg

heres a picture of pulchra,as you can see smaller spots on face very similar looking esp when younger
pulchra533.jpg

ornatipinnis
britz_channa_orn_juv.jpg

assams next please :)

get this pinned, ive been reading ( on another forum) Domi`s posts about his babies, i can see why you all get so excited.what age do fry reach sexual maturity nelly?

shela, for your sp assam's care is same as these guy's

your's come from...

Origin: the assumed name of sp. assam is slightly misleading , this fish is collected from a tiger reserve outside of assam in fact they come from Northern West Bengal

Most reactions

Back