Changing substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FalconStorm

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I want to change the substrate in my ten gallon aquarium, but I'm not sure what to do with the residents while I do so. I have a one gallon bowl that I sometimes use as a hospital tank (currently not in use) but it seems a little cramped for everyone, even if it's only for an hour or two. Would it be okay to keep everyone in this bowl with water from the tank for the time it takes to change the substrate? Thanks for your help.

Just go to the hardware store and for a a mere few dollars you can bick up bins ranging from 1 gallon to 40 gallons. You may even be able to run the filter on it while you work, since you won't be running it on the tank.

Put the fish in a bucket using water from the 10gal and run the filter in it while you go about changing substrate.
Whatever substrate you get remember to run it under water in a bucket for a while to help remove as much dust/dirt from it before putting in in the tank to help prevent the water from going seriously cloudy; it will still probably go cloudy to a certain extent but will totally settle within a couple of days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back