Catfish/plec Suitable For A Fluval Edge?

Hypnotoad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are there any dwarf size plecs or catfish that are suitable for a fluval Edge. Im getting rid of my main tank and just keeping the edge and Id like one in there if its suitable.

I have a male bristlenose in my main tank that just sits on the wood in there but I assume its too big for the edge?

I have 3 neons, 5 guppies and 5 amarno shrimp in there with a piece of bog wood in the middle.
545789_10151789397320181_772880180_24582060_564703371_n.jpg

Ottos would be the nearest thing to a plec that could live in there. Depending on stocking a small group of Pygmy corys could work. Again depending on stocking if the temperature could be kept about 23c i would go for Hara jerdoni/Anchor catfish.
Just noticed you said the stocking. The Neons will struggle at the lower temps but the Guppy and Shrimp would be fine at around 23c which would be perfect for the Hara.

P. jumbo perhaps, wouldn't put Ottos in a tank that small, they will quickly run out of aufwuchs.

I have an albino bristlenose in my 3gal shrimp tank. The albino variation doesn't shorten their life any, but it stunts their growth to about 4-6 in. Max as an adult. So if you get him(or her, lol) small, it should be a long time before it gets too big for the tank, if even at all.

I have an albino bristlenose in my 3gal shrimp tank. The albino variation doesn't shorten their life any, but it stunts their growth to about 4-6 in. Max as an adult. So if you get him(or her, lol) small, it should be a long time before it gets too big for the tank, if even at all.

Are you for real?

You have a BN in a 3 gallon tank?

Albinism does not stunt their growth, keeping them in tanks that size do.

Ancistrus grow quickly ime.

Interesting... I always had him in the 3 gal with the intention of moving him when he grows... but in the year ive had it, he's only grown from about 1 in to about 4 with fins and everything. It caught me by surprise because no BN ive ever had grew this slow. So when I went online to look ot up, I thought it was accurate when they said that the albino variation of that breed stunts growth instead of shortening the life span like with most other animals.

For the record, the 3gal tank is mainly to get baby fish started growing before I throw them into my 30 or 60 gal.

So you have a 4 inch fish in a 3 gal tank and you wonder why it is growing slowly?

What dimensions are the tank??

8x14x11. The fish is all fins though... like almost half of his length is just from the base of his tail to the tip. No deformaties. He/she is so young she didn't even have bristles when I got it, just super long fins. And now that I actually see it on a ruler, 4in was a little generous. I'll have to buy some zucchini so I can snap a good picture with my crappy camera, lol. I mean, the fish is showing zero signs of stress, and seems to be in good spirits... but if you're really concerned for his health, than offer me some suggestions or impart on me some knowledge... don't just be sarcastic and tell me I'm wrong, lol

Most reactions

Back