catfish/loach problems

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

vipergts75

Reaction score
Hey. All my fish are being moved into my freshly cycled 90 gall. I have 3 clown loaches (had more, but Ich got them ) and my Pictus catfish has attacked one, nipping its tail pretty badly. Now, this catfish has been giving me a hard time, killing two of my larger black-skirted tetras and some other fish. This move is emptying out a ten gallon tank of mine (goldfish being moved from 10 gall temporary tank into a larger 30 gall. that the freshwater fish are in, freshwater moving into the 90) Should I move the two smaller loaches into the tank, until they get a little larger and heal? they are only about 2 inches, and I am afraid that the Catfish might go after them again. Or could the Pictus go in the 10 gall? I doubt that it can, but it’s worth asking an opinion, because I’m running out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.

Pictus cats will eat anything thy can fit in their mouths and they get pretty big so you might want to get rid of him. :dunno:

Yea, getting rid of the pictus isn't a bad idea. But it is just a suggestion.
I want one very badly, but I keep myself from buying them.
For right now though, move the loaches to the smaller tank. Keep the pictus where it's at. When the loaches start to out grow that tank, transfer them to the 90G. By the time they get that big you might have someone eager to take the pictus off your hands.

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on 'growing out' the Loaches in a separate tank, and, as much trouble as the catfish is, I do plan on keeping it too. The larger tank was originally for larger fish anyway, so I shouldn’t have many problems when they are large enough. It was a recipe for disaster keeping the smaller Loaches with the large cat, and I should have done something about it sooner. But I had a large loach left over from the other group I had, and they do better in groups, so I bought the largest ones I could find, and hoped for the best. They were ok for quite a few months too…. Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back