Carpenti has a knot on his head

mostanks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have a 4" blue texas w/a nasty lil bump/scrape on his head looks like he ran into something and scraped some scales off,but i'm not sure if thats the case.i'm a lil paranoid now coz in another forum someone mentioned that this particular species is known to have some kind of cancer,is this true?if so what can you guy's tell me about it?if not then what the heck is it and why won't it go away?it's been 2 weeks and it hasn't gotten better or worse.
as far as my water BELIEVE ME it in perfect cond.
ph 7.2
ammo 0
nitrites 0
temp steady at 81

:) Hi mostanks, does the mark/bump look a bit like cauliflower i.e. small nodules? I haven't heard about cancers in the texas cichlid in particular, maybe a North American rumour? ;) Mac.

no not like a cauliflower,it looks like a pimple w/an off white head.it's a bump w/a cut to the whitemeat. :cry:

:( Hmm, I'm not sure but it may be lymphocystis, which is a viral infection and not treatable as far as I know. I've had dwarf cichlids with this condition before and if you keep your water as you have, the damage may disappear. Any chance of a photo to be sure? ;) Mac.

i won't have access to a cam for atleast a week,and i just noticed that there is anotehr on (smaller)right behind it :angry: and the bigger one is getting worse and starting to look like the cauliflower you mentioned.

:( OK m8, definately sounds like lymphocystis. I can't find much info on this viral infection.
Ref 1. If possible quarantine the infected fish in optimal conditions and eliminate any stress. The immune system will eventually defeat the virus.
Ref 2. For koi but may be of some interest Click Here
Ref 3. Another site Click Here.
Sorry I can't give more but you can take your pick from above. I personally would go for #1 as I don't think a virus can be treated. Let us know of any progress and a pic if you can. ;) Mac.

thanx alot mac you have been very helpful,so basically i should put him in a q tank and keep an eye on him?it looks like it's starting to clear up on it's own so hopfully the q tank will speed up the processs.

thanx again

sam :D

:D You're welcome m8. Keep posting though, even if you don't have troubles and maybe have laugh. ;) Mac.

UPDATE-he's healing up very nicely(and quick)and i wasn't even treating the water yet.see it pays to keep good water quality. :D

Most reactions

Back