Can i buy a Synodontis Now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vantgE

I know you agree
Reaction score
I am searching for a tank right now but am wondering if i could make a purchase before the tank

Would a smallish synodontis catfish fit in a small hexagonal 8 gallon tank about that big (down) for a month ( or 2)? and should I add a cichlid for company? I'm not sure what kind of syno i'll get yet whatever they have in town

17 If you can understand my creativeness

28--------28 Cm- Or think of it as a 22cm by 28cm

17 Square or Circle

--Also anyone from Canada,,, How much do synodontis usually cost? i have found two but they were'nt for sale

Hi vantgE :)

IMHO, it's never a good idea to buy a fish that you are not prepared to care for. Too many things could happen that might make it impossible to carry out your plans and the fish would be the one to suffer as a result.

One Synodontis would most likely fit very well in an eight-gallon--unfortunately, that's whole problem; you cannot have just one. These fish need to be in at least a group of three fish of its own kind as it is a shoaling fish. If they are not, they will either pine away and die of stress or live out their entire lives in hiding. And as for cichlids, would most definitely not recommend this type of fish as "company" for something as timid and gentle as the synodontis. As for whether or not you can fit three of these into an eight gallon hex, I am not certain, but wouldn't suggest it, although it may be possible as they only get up to around perhaps two inches in length. Nevertheless, they may be happier in larger surroundings--I keep mine in a twenty gallon aquarium with a female swordtail, two guppies, an Endler's, a small pleco, two goldfish and three Kuhli loaches--so they have a fair amount of space in which to move around.

Never2Bknown said:
One Synodontis would most likely fit very well in an eight-gallon--unfortunately, that's whole problem; you cannot have just one. These fish need to be in at least a group of three fish of its own kind as it is a shoaling fish. If they are not, they will either pine away and die of stress or live out their entire lives in hiding. And as for cichlids, would most definitely not recommend this type of fish as "company" for something as timid and gentle as the synodontis. As for whether or not you can fit three of these into an eight gallon hex, I am not certain, but wouldn't suggest it, although it may be possible as they only get up to around perhaps two inches in length. Nevertheless, they may be happier in larger surroundings--I keep mine in a twenty gallon aquarium with a female swordtail, two guppies, an Endler's, a small pleco, two goldfish and three Kuhli loaches--so they have a fair amount of space in which to move around.
umm......there are several species of Syno's and the most common ones get way to big for an 8g hex and even the smaller ones are to large as they need room to swim and hide, I would recommend a smaller bottom dwelling catfish like Corydoras. Never2beknown-Cichlids come in thousands of varities and some of the most aggressive like the african cichlids are often very well suited to living with Syno's and they often do. Although Syno's hide that does not mean they are gentle, they will stand up for themselves against others and won't hesitate to take smaller fish at night. Not all Cichlids are as aggressive as species like labs anyway, species like Discus, Angels and Apistos are easily peaceful enough for a community set-up. I would advise you to do some more research on Cichlids and Syno's before giving advice. As for them only reaching two inches....I haven't heard of any that only stay at this size although I may be wrong but the commonest like Synodontis Eupterus reach a min of 6 inches and most likely alot bigger.

i read that you couldn't have two or three (don't know why) either one or between 4 and 6, the one i saw that wasn't form sale in the lfs was alone, but they make mistakesbut it was on an african cichlid forum and you catfish probally know better

so i guess i'll wait

but i don't and won't have room for more than one so you sure about the schooling? i can't have just one?

don't mean to argue ( I don't know much about these) just being hopefull

my internet research shows that the eupterus and angelicus and njasse grow to between 17 and 20 cm that's only a little bigger than the venustus i have is supposed to get

and my fish were asfricans 2 labs a nibochromis venustus plus one kenyi(my favorite so maybe more when i upgrade my tank

Upside Down Cats are schooing fish although I personally have kept one alone. As for your other suggestions-They all reach roughly 8inches or 21cm, and if you go by the 1 inch rule (1 inch of fish per 1 gallon) you have stocked the tank with one fish. But if you think about it that is not fair on the fish, you wouldn't put a 20inch fish in a twenty gallon so why but an 8inch fish in an 8 gallon?

New info from catfish planet, apparently nigrita don't mind solitude nor do eruptus, thanks for the help, maybe i'll wait for these

I have 2 Upsidedown Cats. I may rtry to get rid of some of the Swordtails I have and buy some more Upsidedown Cats.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back