Can anyone please identify

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

RBudd

Reaction score
Hello,

I have found and removed two of the insect looking things (photo attached)from my tank over the last couple of days. Would anyone be able to tell me what it is and if I should be concerned. Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5599.jpeg
    IMG_5599.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 34
I concur. If you have excess baby fish and want to see some good, "Trials of Life" style scenes acted out in your tank, leave them alone. Otherwise, they need to go.
I will definitely be getting rid of them. I haven’t put any new plants in there for a few months so I don’t know how they have got in there.

I will definitely be getting rid of them. I haven’t put any new plants in there for a few months so I don’t know how they have got in there.
Is your tank covered? You must have had a stealth damselfly come through and lay some eggs.

Some damselfly like the emerald damselfly, lay eggs in late summer that won't hatch right away, they normally go trough winter, then hatch. If winter never comes like in an aquarium they will eventually get out of sleeping mode and hatch anyway...

They can lay hundreds to thousands of eggs... But most of the time in an tank they get eaten when real small... unfortunately they are extremely good at remaining undetected for a long time in well planted tanks and can become a menace if they are able to grow.

Some damselfly like the emerald damselfly, lay eggs in late summer that won't hatch right away, they normally go trough winter, then hatch. If winter never comes like in an aquarium they will eventually get out of sleeping mode and hatch anyway...

They can lay hundreds to thousands of eggs... But most of the time in an tank they get eaten when real small... unfortunately they are extremely good at remaining undetected for a long time in well planted tanks and can become a menace if they are able to grow.
Ahh ok that makes sense. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for any more. Thankfully so far they have been easy to catch and have just sat there as I’ve scooped them out with a net.

Ahh ok that makes sense. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for any more. Thankfully so far they have been easy to catch and have just sat there as I’ve scooped them out with a net.

If you can catch them easily, it's most of the time because they are dying. I's good for that, but can indicate an early potential water quality problem (they are very sensible to water conditions)... Keep an eye on your cycle parameters.

Have you used some medication in the tank lately ?

No medicine. Just checked parameters and all ok except ph which was 9 and co2 was 0. I have added some tetra easy balance and API co2 booster. I will check the parameters again tomorrow.

They are maybe dying from hunger, they are active predators and live from tiny / small critters until they are able to hunt bigger games.

Hello,

I have found and removed two of the insect looking things (photo attached)from my tank over the last couple of days. Would anyone be able to tell me what it is and if I should be concerned. Many thanks
Looks like he is doing some sort of audit of the substrate 😀

Most reactions

Back