Calling All Experts: Omg, I Just Want To Research And Figure Out

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kj23502

lazy dayz
Reaction score
I originally planned on having 2 black percs when the time came and ran across this:

The term "black percula" is horribly mis-used. And there are now True Black Perculas. Only Onyx percula and SI percula. Which are both sometimes marketed as "black percula". More often the term is use for black A. ocellaris. But it is also used for dark varients of A. polymnus and even A. clarkii. I think someone even said here that they saw an A. sebae marked as a "black percula" at there LFS.

I'm just looking for a type of clownfish that will be ALL black and white and none of the varients that have some orange in them, such as an orange nose.

ugghhh, does anyone know of a book that has ALL this type of info in it? I guess it'd kinda have to be an encylopedia with all the info that I'm looking for :lol:
Will 2 different pairs of clowns work in a large 125 gallon tank? I read they can fight in others, but my tank is a lot bigger than the average, i think :blink:

I'd like 2 black and whites and two. a. ocellaris (sp) aka nemo's. If it won't work, I'll stick to the black and whites.

Just having a hard time trying to find "good" advice in online searches....such as using google.

Look for black ocellaris clownfish, but remember, they start out with some orange and a tint of black before growing up to be all black.

I know they arent percula, but they are very similar.

Ok, thanks Musho. On RC, they state that two clown pairs or more can possibly be kept in a large tank. Is mine considered large enough for that?

it's 125 gallon 5 feet by 1 1/2 feet by about 2 feet tall.

ive heard of clowns killing clowns in 180 gallons, ive even heard of it in 220 gallons, i wouldnt risk it.

I think it would be fine as long as you added them at the same time and have a way to remove them if anything goes wrong.

I think I'll skip the second pair. I don't want to have to catch them later or end up with a blood bath.

Thanks for answering my questions...I really appreciate it :nod:

Yeah, people are freaking crazy when it comes to clownfish IMO. All this hype about Percula and "true percula" clownfish really irritates me tbh. Here's the true scoop...

"Common Clownfish" are either Amphipron Percula or Amphipron Ocellaris. These two fish are exceptionally similar in almost all regards. Their differences are genetic (obviously), range in the wild (obviously), and the only real way a human can tell which is which is to get a picture of the clownfish flaring his dorsal fin. Then count the spines on the dorsal fin. I'm PRETTY SURE that 8 spines equates to an Amphipron Percula, 10 spines equates to an Amphipron Ocellaris, and 9 spines equates to a hybrid between the two. These fish are so genetically similar that they can mate together and produce viable offspring...

Now on to coloration. "Black" coloration of these clownfish is the product of human selection... Fish with more black have been mated with fish with more black. Then the blackest of the litter were mated again, and again, and again slowly selecting for the black gene. As with most vertebrate organisms, coloration is a complex phenotype consisting of multiple alleles (genes). Therefore it can take a few generations of selection until the right combination of alleles is found to make the fish all black. And even when the fish is "all black" it might still get a rogue allele making a little orange spot on its nose, or its side, etc. It's very hard to completely eliminate complex phenotypes, so occasionally you get a not completely black fish.

Having said all that, both Ocellaris, Percula (and even hybrids I'm sure) can be selected for the black gene. So feel free to buy any of them you wish, they're all just inbred genetic mutants ;)

Having said all that, both Ocellaris, Percula (and even hybrids I'm sure) can be selected for the black gene. So feel free to buy any of them you wish, they're all just inbred genetic mutants ;)
Inbred genetic mutants...LOL ok, I won't worry about it then. Thanks :good:

Most reactions

Back