Cabomba shedding

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I added Cabomba to one of my tanks. I really like the way it looks. But it's been shedding a lot of leaves. Some of the stems are almost bare. Is this an adjustment phase? Or is there something I need to do to address this?

Those plants like high light and the stems can be rather fragile. If you have active fish or ones that like to root around, they might be beating your plants up a bit.

Wow ! Cabomba shedding its leaves . That happened to me more than fifty years ago . I love the look of Cabomba but could never make a go with it . I just kinda figured that , like so many others , it was something outside my pay grade . I tried and tried but no soap . Definitely not a plant for the beginner , it must have some unique requirements.

Very interesting.
I keep my Cabomba outside in my tubs. It grows like crazy out there. Sometimes the stems reach 24 or more inches. It gets to be a lighter shade closer to the top.
I just moved them indoors, and they are still doing ok in unheated tanks with moderate lighting.

It either grows or it rots. Any sudden change in water chemistry, light or temperature will kill it. If the stem is still firm, it might recover but generally when it sheds leaves, it's dying.

Ambulia looks similar and is much easier to grow.

It either grows or it rots. Any sudden change in water chemistry, light or temperature will kill it. If the stem is still firm, it might recover but generally when it sheds leaves, it's dying.

Ambulia looks similar and is much easier to grow.
By Ambulia, do you mean Limnophila indica or Limnophila sessiliflora?

I concur that it is most probably a light issue, though water nutrients may be involved. I have tried a few times, but it doesn't last more than a few weeks. My light was definitely not of sufficient intensity, I knew that, so light is probably the issue.

Cabomba you are my white whale!!!
Bomba whale.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back