Butterfly Goby Yeah Right U Mean Wasp Fish R.i.p.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

DoDgYbOb

Reaction score
I Have had a wasp fish for about six months now.
I was told by the fish store it was a FW fish but after reading what i could find online I swapped him into my brackish tank. It has been in the brackish tank 4 3 months an has tripled in size. Doing very well

Heres my question I bought another and after putting him into the BW tank (Gradually acclimated him to BW) It just kinda floated around lookin dead,
So i took it out and put it in FW again now he is all good.
He will definately get eatin in my FW tank so Hes in a holding tank now

ARE THESE FISH REALLY BRACKISH
DSCF0121.jpg

Yes, they are not only brackish but also marine fish. The fish is Neovespicula depressifrons. If yours is doing well in freshwater, there's no reason to worry about adapting it to brackish water just yet, but it may well need salty water as it matures. That is often the case with brackish water fish (take, for example, spotted puffers).

I assume you have hard, alkaline water? It has been noted over the years that many brackish water fish will do well in freshwater provided the pH and hardness stays high. This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but it does hold often enough to bear in mind.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no strictly freshwater species in the Tetrarogidae.

Cheers,

Neale

ARE THESE FISH REALLY BRACKISH

My question would be on how you acclimatised him and what SG the brackish tank is at. If the brackish is mid rage (around 1.010) then it may be a bit high for the fish at this point in life, but as it grows it may accept higher salinity better.

It was always my understanding that Vespicula depressifrons do not need freshwater as juveniles, but prefer brackish water. Synirr has a juvenile and it is in around 1.012 if I remember correctly. If your waspfish is doing fine in freshwater I guess you could leave it in freshwater, but IMHO waspfish need salt to some degree. Obviously, if the fish does not look stressed, ill, or come down with a disease then leaving him in freshwater will do no harm. But be prepared to switch him to brackish if he becomes disease prone or ill.

Hello and thanks for the replies

The fish pictured has been in a BW tank at 1.010-.012 for months now. doing very well

The little guy i bought was acclimated with a drip setup using a few drops a minute over like 24 hours untill the SG matched the big tank

I put him in and it was obvious he wasnt gonna do well? HE was doing good in acclimating?
So i moved him back to the fresh that he came in with only a slight amount of salt in it put there by me.

I think the problem is that the LFS starved him he is as thin as paper and super weak! :sad: :angry:
I know mine dont eat flakes :no:

He is alive Trying to catch guppy fry so maybe hell make it we'll see :unsure:

put him in and it was obvious he wasnt gonna do well? HE was doing good in acclimating?
So i moved him back to the fresh that he came in with only a slight amount of salt in it put there by me.

I think the problem is that the LFS starved him he is as thin as paper and super weak! sad1.gif angry.gif
I know mine dont eat flakes no.gif

He is alive Trying to catch guppy fry so maybe hell make it we'll see unsure.gif
So you have two? The second one was probably not doing well, not because of the salt, in fact salt will only help. Can you describe the "not doing well"?

put him in and it was obvious he wasnt gonna do well? HE was doing good in acclimating?

I think the problem is that the LFS starved him he is as thin as paper and super weak! sad1.gif angry.gif
I know mine dont eat flakes no.gif

He is alive Trying to catch guppy fry so maybe hell make it we'll see unsure.gif
So you have two? The second one was probably not doing well, not because of the salt, in fact salt will only help. Can you describe the "not doing well"?

By not doing very well i mean he cannot even make it to the bottom of the tank he tries but maybe he has a bubble in him ?HE FLOATS TOO WELL

He is also very weak

As i am typing this I looked over and saw this :sad: :sad: :sad: RIP
dead2.jpg

dead1.jpg

He was very small you can see how small in this pic :(
smallwasp.jpg

I am sorry for you loss. Demand a refund from your LFS, if you drip accliamated the waspfish for that long he should have been fine and even thrived in the brackish water. Your waspfish was probablly in poor condition in the LFS, again demand a refund.

Most reactions

Back