buttercoferi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

galax

Reaction score
I got a buttercoferi a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone here had any information on it. Usually I read up on a fish before I buy it but in this case it was a spur of the moment decision. So far this fish has killed my Oscar, Dempsey, Green Terror, and Frontosa which leaves it and a pair of female Convicts in the tank. I like variety in my tank but I need to know more about this fish before I waste any more money on fish that are just going to die when confronted with the buttercoferi. If anyone can give me a URL or the name of a book that has informaiton on this fish I would appreciate it.

:(

You dont say how big your buttikofferi is or how big your tank is but i can tell you that unless you have a huge tank of over 200 gallons there is nothing you can keep with a adult butterkofferi without it getting killed, buttis are mean with a capital M. They grow to 15" + and have a speed and agility that no central american cichlid i know of can match, if you want a tank with more than one fish then i suggest you take the buttikofferi back to where you got it.

tilapia buttikoferi is an african that does not come from the three lakes of africa. it is considered a riverine species. they grow quite large. the males are larger than the females. both sexes have the same coloring. buttikoferi can be sexed by venting to find out the sex of the fish. visual guesstimation is that the females fins are more rounded than the males. they are a larger fish. can get up to lengths of 12" or more. they are also harem breeders. they also are very aggressive. i have found that buttikoferi are best kept with mbuna or larger sa/ca's. i keep mine in a 180 with red devils, dempseys, greenterrors and convicts.

buttikoferi like to attack the bellies of fish rather than mouthwrestle. the larger they get, the more aggressive they get.http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=8902

hth

semper fi

Thanks, I was able to find more information on it which seems to vibe with what you have said. I currently have a 80 gallon tank and the buttikoferi is about 4 1/2 inches right now.

buttikoferi are cool fish. i love mine. if you can get their colors out through their food you will notice theat their mouths and fins are tinged with a flourescent blue. when they are stressed they will lose their stripes and turn almost totally black.

what are you feeding yours?

semper fi

I feed mine a mixture of beef heart, gold fish and pellets. I have noticed that there is a blue tinge to it as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back