burnt out electrics in my hood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
:eek: I went into my kitchyen were I keep my tank and could smell an electrical burning. I noticed my light was off in my tank so I opened the hood and noticed that the power box the houses the electrics for the light was totally burnt out and melted. :crazy:

All the fish seem to be ok but how do I fix it and will they be ok without light till I can get something sorted.

Can new hoods be bought or will I need a new tank. :/ :crazy: :eek:

You can quite easily replace your lighting.

What tank do you have though?

is the hood built in like juwels or is it a seperate unit?

Don't worry about not giving them lighting.

I agree, although I'm guessing you dont have live plants in your tank right?

I have live plants also, the housing is built into the hood but is separate from the tank.

I am not sure of the make, I got it as a package starter kit about 5 yrs ago.

If you have high demanding Plants put a desk lamp over it for now.

Have a look aorund the tank see if you can spot any labels etc..??

If not can you post a picture?

So can you lift out just the light unit?

here is one

Attachments

• hood_1.jpg
    hood_1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 28
here is a closer one

Attachments

• hood_2.jpg
    hood_2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 37
Fish will be fine without light, the plants will slowly die though. You can buy light fitting gear from most LFS, which can be modified to fit most setup's provided you get the right length tube.

Kind of looks like a Juwel tank, in which case your local Juwel stockist should beable to order you one in quite easily.

Would probable be best if you can take the hood the your LFS and see if they can get one for you.

:) ok spot on guys cheers for the info. will check it out the morn. :cool:

Maybe you could try and find a glass top that will fit the tank. I have lighting fixtures that weren't meant for my tank but they work. I had a bunch of black light fixtures from years ago and just replaced the strips with plant lights. I just randomly stack them on top of the tank. Isn't the neatest looking but my plants do well just the same. :)

I think it's a about a 10 - 12 gallon tank so it shouldn't be too hard to find one, sunflower reckons I could pick one up no probs from my lfs. cheers gaya. ;)

Every time a get a new tank (and I have way to many cuz if I find free ones I always take them) I store the hood it comes with and get a glass top. Your plants will be all the happier for it because it allows more light. Some times aquarium light fixtures can be pricey so if you run into the black lights I was talking about compare prices.
cheers ;)

the lfs didn,t have any glass lids, I manged to get a black plastic lid but I needed the light and power kit for it. it ended up costing around £33 is that about $45?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back