Brown Algae

zanda

Reaction score
DSC_0113.JPGi have 180l tank, its been running over a year. Recently there appeared a brown algae
Its been taken all over my plants.
Light and CO2 10 h a day, water changes 2x a week aprox 50%, PH 6.5 GH and KH is low as well, amonia nearly 0, but NO3 high
4 T8 bulbs, Flourish plant food 2X a week
Fluval 306

I use ADA soil so plants grow like crazy, but as soon there are new leafs after a week they are brown already
there are 4 algae eaters, 2 cory, 5 khule loches, so there isnt food waste

any ideas?

10 hours light is too much, I would consider having the lights on for about 6 hour or 8 maximum. Also 4 tubes may be too much, possibly try 2 for now.
You need to improve your ferts as well if you have co2. I reccomend the Estimative Index fertilisation method

Too hard to tell from the photo - But use the link above to identfy your algae and go from there. Could be CO2 issues if it's just started  and the same reasons would apply if it's a lack of nutrients too.

Identifying the algae is key tho.

HTH

zanda said:
attachicon.gif
DSC_0113.JPGi have 180l tank, its been running over a year. Recently there appeared a brown algae
Its been taken all over my plants.
Light and CO2 10 h a day, water changes 2x a week aprox 50%, PH 6.5 GH and KH is low as well, amonia nearly 0, but NO3 high
4 T8 bulbs, Flourish plant food 2X a week
Fluval 306

I use ADA soil so plants grow like crazy, but as soon there are new leafs after a week they are brown already
there are 4 algae eaters, 2 cory, 5 khule loches, so there isnt food waste

any ideas?
Not sure, maybe too much plant food or fish waste.  I have one large 1 foot long pleco and he keeps my tank clean.  I use chemicals in my outdoor pond (the pic by my name) and it stays pretty clean too. My pleco keeps every thing clean in my aquarium but he is huge.  He didn't do too well at keeping it clean when he was small. I have a 350 gallon aquarium with an FX5 Fluval filter.  It's a pretty big filter and was used when my turtles were inside.  My outside filter for my pond is really huge, it's a regular pool filter for in ground swimming pools. Outside filter needs to backwash every three days because of all the fish and frogs and turtles in it. I change the substrate in my filter inside monthly for my 350 gallon tank and do a partial water change at that time. What substrate are you using in your fiiter?  I use ammonia remover and carbon and Biomax Rings and a water polisher. I got this idea from calling Fluval for help when I was having problems when I first set up my aquarium. You can use different substrates and mix them together.  Call Fluval if your problem persists and they will help you figure out what substrate to use in your filter to help fix your problem(s).

Most reactions

Back