Brown Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joe_Shafe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How would you guys suggest to get rid of brown algae?

buy a few otocinclus. I've had a hard time with that too. I understand it's from high iron or silica. I backed off my ferts and my plants started looking rough and the algae got worse. I bought a few oto's and they keep it well enough in check now.

I have three otos that have been in there for a week about and I haven't noticed much of a difference. It's a 10 gallon planted tank btw.

I used to have a 12 hour photoperiod on my 29 gallon planted. I cut it back to ten. It has 96 watts of light. That helped a little bit.

Brown algae is generally diatoms which is caused by ammonia and light, have you recently disturbed the substrate or added new plants? Most of the time the filter will deal with it,give it a wipe off and do a water change and it shouldn't come back.

I've done that two or three times now but haven'e noticed much change. I got it about two or three weeks ago. I added fish recently but that didn't seem to affect it, it started before I had fish.

I think it's pretty normal to have a diatom bloom right after you cycle. I found this info page that may give you some ideas.
http://www.aquariumslife.com/headline/brown-diatom-algae-control/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back