Brown Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KISSfn

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have brown algae on all my plants. I use Flourish root tabs for the rooted plants. The 2 Java Ferns are attached to rocks with their rhizomes exposed. I was using liquid Flourish twice a week and Excel every day but it seemed to increase the algae so I stopped. I also have Seachem liquid Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron and Nitrogen in my arsenal if needed. I have two 54W 10K tubes and two 54W Actinic tubes. I have just decreased the lighting period from 12 to 8 hours a day last week. 2 of my 3 Eheims have Purigen in them (which is probably in need of a recharge). I have 1871 gph of flow. Both Powerheads run 15 hours a day. The 100 pounds of CaribSea Tahitian Moon sand was added 6 weeks ago. NH3 is at 0.003, pH 7.17, temp 79F. Fish are fed once a day (except Saturday) an amount finished in 5 minutes. I have a UV sterilizer. Any advice much appreciated!

has the algae appeared after you shortened the photo period from 12 to 8hrs, or did it occur before?

if the algae broke out whilst you had the lights on for 12hrs a day, I'd say that is the most likely culprit. Now that it has reduced to 8hrs you might find that it just goes away on its own.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back