brown algae

Michele

Reaction score
Hello. I am a bit confused as to how to eliminate the brown algae problem. My tank has been set up for about 9 weeks now & the brown algae just keeps on getting worse. At first the lights were on for 12 hrs, then I tried 8-10 & now back to 12 hours. It is a 25 gallon with a 20 watt flourescent. My 10 gallon has been set up for 6 weeks now with a 15 watt & it has no brown algae.

Is there enough light in my 25 gallon & how long should I keep the light on?

Do you have plants in the tank? If not then you have tons of light and only need to have it on when you want to see the fish in the evening or early morning. Also if you do not have plants then consider adding some it may clear up the algae problem. I had the brown algae early in the tanks life but it just went away on its own. Will check my books to see if there is anything else to add. :)

Hi. Thanks for the speedy replies. My tank has quite a bit of fake plants. I haven't gotten into real plants yet as there's enough to learn with just fish! Perhaps, I'll just wait & see what happens. Any ideas on how long after start up it takes to clear up on its own? :)

I'm starting to get a brown algae outbreak in my tank and it's pretty well planted.

How long are you running your lights?

I have a timer on my lights so that they come on and go off at the same time everyday, giving my fish a stable amount of light. I have heard that brown algae is ofter the result of not enough light.

Mine are on 8 - 12 hours a day depending on whether it is planted or not.

Philip

I used to get a ot of red alge in my planted tanks, but notice that feeding less, more water changes and more right light resolved it, well so far..?

I used to have 4 20Watt coolwhite light , and the alge grew better that the plants, no I removed 1 coolwhite replaced it with a warm light and added two biolux tubes, my plants is also growing much faster, maybe its using all the nutriens from water before the alge can use it

I changed from 2Watts per 5l of water to 3.5watts per 5l

The brown algae is for low or insufficient light. I've got brown algae in my ten gallon tank (incandescent) so that tells you that they can grow in low lights (probably prefer it, too).

I am beginning to think that perhaps it is not enough wattage as opposed to not enought hours of light because I have my lights on from 10-12 hrs per day. I have a 20 watt AquaGlo in my 25 gallon. Whereas my 10 gallon has a 15 watt & it has no brown algae.

Adding more light without plants will likely just mean you'll have green algae replace the brown.

The brown algae is there because of excess nutrients in the water that aren't being used by other creatures. Review your feeding amount/schedule and double your waterchanges for awhile. See if that helps.

More extensive steps you might consider:

Plants!!! (They don't have to be complicated! Give 'em a try! ;) )

or

Otos! (They are great eaters of algae and don't get large...)

My situation is weird though

I have 80W flourescent in a 38gal tank

I run the lights 12 hours.

I have a lot of plants

I have 6 ottos

I have a LOT of snails

I DO NOT Overfeed

20% water change weekly

Very little to no mulm

ANd i'm still getting brown algea growth. I don'tt get it

Most reactions

trending