Breeding Question With A Twist.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-Rob-

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
im wundering, if its possible to breed betta splenden with betta imbellis?

betta imbellis, betta simplex etc, the majority are ok to house together as a group, male to several females, or just pairs..

now would it to be possible to breed a combination of any of the above?

no one shoot me down, just got thinking an wunderd if it was possible.

yes they can, with caution:

Additional:Different type localities exist, and it's important to keep the strains pure(do not crossbreed!). Betta imbellis can be crossed with Betta splendens, and the offspring is fertile up to 2-3 generations, but then fertility problems start to occur. A few years back(1998) "peaceful bettas" have been offered in shops, which were clearly a crossing with fancy bettas, created by people only interested in profit and with a complete disregard for the consequences.

Seeing that imbellis has the largest natural occurence, it's likely to be the oldest species of the splendens group. If it can also be crossed with smaragdina it would be likely that both smaragdina and splendens have evolved from B. imbellis.

Lately it has been discovered that Betta rubra and Betta imbellis are the same species, and officially the name should be Betta rubra which is the oldest name. However, since the name has been used for such a long period, according to the "rules" it will keep the same name to prevent confusion.

i can imagine it would be extremely diffacult,

but, doing a very big tank change around just got a new bigger tank, will have a couple of spare tanks , including my QT one, food for thought.

going to see if i can shed any more light on this,

anyone on here done it? outcomes etc?

ok, i have seen betta splendens, but none of the others.

what do they look like? and why would it cause problems really? surely its not like inbreeding?

ok, i have seen betta splendens, but none of the others.

what do they look like? and why would it cause problems really? surely its not like inbreeding?

almost the same, just less finnage and can be kept together in pairs in community tanks without much problem.

google betta imbellis there is also betta simplex which is a mouthbrooder

theres snake head betta's too, also try googling wild betta. plenty of info comes up :good:

They look similar to Betta splendens but with much shorter fins. They are each a separate species, not just a fin or color variation. That means it comes down to crossing two separate species and hoping for some success. It can happen in some fish, like the Xiphophorus genus, but I have no idea if the various species of Betta can actually cross breed and produce viable and fertile hybrids. Some of the peaceful bettas are not even bubble nest builders but are mouth breeders. I can't imagine that would be a successful cross with a splendens, but who really knows.

They look similar to Betta splendens but with much shorter fins. They are each a separate species, not just a fin or color variation. That means it comes down to crossing two separate species and hoping for some success. It can happen in some fish, like the Xiphophorus genus, but I have no idea if the various species of Betta can actually cross breed and produce viable and fertile hybrids. Some of the peaceful bettas are not even bubble nest builders but are mouth breeders. I can't imagine that would be a successful cross with a splendens, but who really knows.

quite rite, i have just recieved some betta simplex, these are mouth brooders and would imagine it would be near impossible to cross breed, i was thinking in terms of the betta imbellis crossed with splendens, though this has been done already from things i have looked at, there are many many more variations , i hope to purchase some differant sorts of betta, more so wild bettas as they seam to get along alot better, it may be possible to have differant variations of wild betta to cross breed, altough anything i do try i will look into as much as possible before even trying, trying to play god mite not be a good thing to do without fully knowing the possible outcome.

will search ALOT more for info before i even consider anything.

thanks for your reply it did get me thinking on a few pointers :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back