Breeding/keeping Snakeheads Together

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I think there seems to be two devides in the world of cool water snakeheads. One is that they do well in water that is the same temperature as normal tropicals (24C), where as others say its better for them to be in cooler water with a high flow and a small drop in temperature every so often.
The aforementioned Pascal said that they were fine in normal temp water.

All of the subtropical Snakeheads I have had have appeared to be happy in tropical temps as most of them will go through a hot (Tropical Temp) season every year. If you want to breed them however you will need to better represent the parameters they are used to. This may include the seasonal temp changes.

My two Aurantimaculata's and my Assams are far more active and feed more at the lower temps than the usual Tropical temps.

Do you have any idea how accuratly the temperature cycle will need to be? Id guess it would be fairly rough.

Do you have any idea how accuratly the temperature cycle will need to be? Id guess it would be fairly rough.

Yes it can be quite rough. There wiould also be a change in water depth in there natural location but I don't think that would be important.

What about having a supported pile of rocks and plants at one end with a more level bit on the other half?

I dont think depth is the main issue with the Sub Tropical Snakeheads. Its more the need for fast water flow and the yearly temp drop which simulates the ice and snow run off from the hills. From what ive read recently these snakeheads will sit and swim into a fast current not unlike Salmon

The tank that will probably be used for them has an Ehiem external (not a clue which model), so id guess a powerhead or two would be an idea?
Would the flow need to be broken for the spawning site so the babies arnt blown too much around? Unless they breed in the middle of the stream.

As mentioned depth is not an issue. I have an Ehiem myself on another tank and have found the output from the spray bar quite powerful. I would experiment first before buying a powerhead. It would be worth trying to allow an area of low flow to allow them to rest if required, between rocks or something. I would also recommend using one of the Korella pumps usually used within the marine setup. These are quieter and use less power than the equivalent powerhead.

They will breed in as close to a cave as possible. The male which is a mouth brooder will sit in the cave and look after the eggs. The fry once born would probably need a quiet area in the tank. There will of course be some parental care from the parents. We don't know yet if these guys produce dummy eggs for the young to feed on as with some of the other Snakeheads.

Another point to make would that when they breed in the drier season the flow may be greatly reduced due to lack of flow from the mountains. So when breeding the water may well be shallow and almost stagnant. This is of course just another one of my theories with no proof

DarkEntity. I think its the Pulchra's that like to swim in the flow, even then they don't like it two strong. Kewskills has four and prior to adding a power head they all swam mid water, as soon as the additional flow was added the all went low.

I have my Ornate's separated at the moment while I sort out their more permanent home. I will experiment with the flow and let you know.

As mentioned depth is not an issue. I have an Ehiem myself on another tank and have found the output from the spray bar quite powerful. I would experiment first before buying a powerhead. It would be worth trying to allow an area of low flow to allow them to rest if required, between rocks or something. I would also recommend using one of the Korella pumps usually used within the marine setup. These are quieter and use less power than the equivalent powerhead.

They will breed in as close to a cave as possible. The male which is a mouth brooder will sit in the cave and look after the eggs. The fry once born would probably need a quiet area in the tank. There will of course be some parental care from the parents. We don't know yet if these guys produce dummy eggs for the young to feed on as with some of the other Snakeheads.

Another point to make would that when they breed in the drier season the flow may be greatly reduced due to lack of flow from the mountains. So when breeding the water may well be shallow and almost stagnant. This is of course just another one of my theories with no proof

DarkEntity. I think its the Pulchra's that like to swim in the flow, even then they don't like it two strong. Kewskills has four and prior to adding a power head they all swam mid water, as soon as the additional flow was added the all went low.

I have my Ornate's separated at the moment while I sort out their more permanent home. I will experiment with the flow and let you know.

Ive also read that people with Ornatipinnis do the same with fast water flow etc...although never yet seen it.

Ive also read that people with Ornatipinnis do the same with fast water flow etc...although never yet seen it.

I am tring it out now. I will let you know.

Most reactions

Back