BRACKISH TANK?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

JPARKx89

Reaction score
i hear/see/read "brackish tanks/fish" alot..and..i dunno what it is..can you guys help me out? THANKS

Brackish water in nature is where freshwater meets saltwater and they mix. You use marine salt to make a brackish aquarium and a hydrometer to measure the Specific Gravity (salt content) of the water. 1.005-1.008 is low end brackish. Hope that helps.

there is a pinned article under oddballs by cfc that explains a brackish tank.

but one thing i'd like someone to clarify........
when youre mixing the salt to do a waterchange, do you add enough salt to make the water in that bucket up to the right sg, or do you add the amount for you total tank gallons???? and do you test the sg of the bucket, or put water in the tank and then check the sg???? its a little confusing for someone new to bw.......

When I do a water change I add the salt to the bucket and check the SG before adding it to the tank. It should be done this way because undissolved salt is bad for you fish, i've read it can burn them.

A brackish tank is a slightly salty tank - not marines.

And may I just say that archer fish and mudskippers aren't the only cool fish that you can keep in brackish setup tanks-some species of puffers should be kept in brackish - but not dwarves (and quite a few others actually :*) ). Mind you puffers are very hard to keep!!!!!! :D :D

Most reactions

Back