Brackish paludarium

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

K-Holed

Fishaholic
Reaction score
With my never ending fascination with brackish fish (especially the awesome Toxotes jaculatrix) I thought it would be nice to set up a brackish Paludarium. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any interesting land animals (amphibians or reptiles) that may thrive in this setting. If not I guess I will stick with just the Archerfish and suitable companions. I would apreciate any input you can give on this. I 'm also starting a thread in the DIY section concerning the building of the paludarium if you would like to give me some input there.

Thanks

James

Land based hermit crabs would work and some of the less aggressive crabs like fiddler crabs could go if the fish were all quite large.

The best thing with this kind of set up is that you can grow live mangroves which look stunning and you can see the archer fishes natural behaviour shooting ckickets off of over hanging branches.

Be carful about the plants you'll be adding to it. The owner of an aqurium near me decided to set-up on, only to find he lost hundreds of dollars worth of fish when the plants he selected leeched toxins into the water

Good luck :)

I was considering mangroves, but I'm aware they grow rather ... erm ... large. What size tank would I need to house the mangroves?

A tank that is as large as possible, 75 gallons or more prefferably, i presume the mangroves can be trimmed to keep the height down, i cant see many people having 30 foot ceilings :crazy:

Most reactions

Back