bolivian ram emergancy!

Ben

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
hey

i woke up this morning and switched on the tank lights and i first say my bolivian ram lieing on its side and then he went crazy and and started turning and strugling when the lights came on.then my balloon ram looks like it is bleeding from its gills,but not alot though,there is no physical damage i can see on the ram aswell,and the balloon ram was breeding with another gold ram and there hasnt been any trouble so far,the other habbitants are 3 corys,a keyhole cichlid,5 neon tetras,4 glow light tetras and 4 harliquin rasboras,the tank is 27 gals,

please help ASAP,ive had this for 2 years and dont want it to die

EDIT:eek:h and forgot to add,my water test kit has run out and imtaking the water to get checked at my trusty lfs today
thanx

DD

How is the bolivian now? Does he look OK? Many fish freak out when the lights go on, and maybe your B ram sleeps oddly -_-

Bleeding from the gill sounds pretty serious, I hope someone can help you out with that :/

Dwarfs said:
How is the bolivian now? Does he look OK? Many fish freak out when the lights go on, and maybe your B ram sleeps oddly -_-

Bleeding from the gill sounds pretty serious, I hope someone can help you out with that :/
thanx for the reply, well the "bleeding" has stopped and isnt there anymore,phew

but no the ram doesnt sleep odly at all he usually sleeps next to a peice of wood, and all the fish were awake and there was quite abit of light coming from the room and the windows on the otherside of the room.

the lights are off now and hes behind the wood and i cant really see him but i dont think he is on his side anymore

ill update in a while

DD

If the bolivian is really stressed I would reccomend some aquarium salt, but that isn't an option seeing as you have cories :X Do you have a quarantine tank available? You could move the sick fish there to diagnose and hopefully treat his problem :nod: Good luck with the ram :thumbs:

Dwarfs said:
If the bolivian is really stressed I would reccomend some aquarium salt, but that isn't an option seeing as you have cories :X Do you have a quarantine tank available? You could move the sick fish there to diagnose and hopefully treat his problem :nod: Good luck with the ram :thumbs:
Thanks Dwarfs :)

my hospital tank is being used by my jewels and jewel fry :X
ive added some stress coat a few minutes ago,i could always move my corys to my electric yellow tank or my fry tank and add salt but i wouldnt think i would be able to put them back -_-

thanx again

DD

actually, i might get lambasted by the catfish people for this :crazy: , but you wont hurt the cories to add a little salt. your catfish will be ok. mine always are. B) (if you can find out whether youre on groundwater or rainwater, that will help me know how much to advise... ie... in the uk they are on groundwater which already has a higher salt and mineral content than us here in canada, who are on rainwater which has NOTHING. thats why most of the advise here is very anti-salt... its a uk based website... duh. they dont wanna over slat, and understandibly so..)

anyhow, what else is out of the ordinary? movements? aggression? are his scales sticking out like porcupine quills? analyze him, and update us...

hope i can help... :look:

Most reactions

Back