blue gouramis

mrcrabbs

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I found out that my female blue gourami is wanting to breed because her "breast" area is swollen. I have a underground filter and they have no place to put up the bubble nest. What will happen with the female gourami?

Hi mrcrabbs :)

You don't have to worry about her. They do not have to breed and it will not hurt her in any way if she does not.

Female gouramis just look like that. In fact, the easiest way to tell male and female gouramis apart is to look at them from the top. It's easy to see that the females are rounded in their fronts while the males taper smoothly from the front to the back.

Ok thansk a lot. I would like to try if possible to breed them but my father does not want me to get a new fish tank yet. BAH end of summer. I have a small container, would that be suitable even though it has no filtration to breed the gouramis? How long would it take?

Hi mrcrabbs :)

Have you bred any egg laying fish yet? :unsure: If you haven't I really don't recommend beginning with gouramis. :nod:

There are many other fish that are so much easier I suggest that everyone start with one of them, instead of gouramis, since these are rather difficult to raise.

thank you for your advise. I am planning on starting to breed at the ned of summer. I just wanted to try to get a bit of practise. Please excuse my poor typing I am calling into a radio show.

Hi all, I'm bored tonight so I thought I'd give soem advice on breeding fish. I've bread blue/gold gouramies as well as sunsets. I hope to breed my bettas soon, maybe this week.

Breeding gouramies can be a bit tricky, but not too bad. First, the question about the container without a filter. I had trouble running a filter when I was trying to breed. Any movement AT ALL on the waters surface seemed to dammage the nest. I had better luck once I gave up on filtering before the fry were free swimming. I would hold off on trying to breed untill you can get a good setup or you are asking for frustration.

I used a 20gal tank, but I think a 10gal would be fine. Gouramies are bubble nest builders and will sometimes include bits of fine leaf pants in the nests. I put some cabomba floating in the tank hoping the male would build his nest in the plant, he did. I put a few other plants on the other side of the tank to give the female a place to hide. I had plastic and live plants, but I would reccomend a bare bottom tank with potted or plastic plants. The water should be heated. The water level sould be low, only 5"-6" deep.

I put the female in the tank a few days before the male so she would be relaxed when it was time. I ran an aged sponge filter and fed her well. I quit feeding her the morning of the 3rd day. That evening I moved the filter to another tank, and introduced the male. It's important to keep an eye on the pair the first hour as males can become overly aggressive. Casing and some nipping is normal, but if the male is doing serious dammage and not getting bussy building a nest oull him from the tank.

The male will build the nest and start chsing the female under it. Once they are both under the nest he will fold his body around hers and shake his head. Eggs are realeased as the pair drif to the bottom. Once they separate the male will pick up the eggs and spit them into the bubble nest. The female will run back to her corner.

I found that if I wanted to watch the pair spawn I had to stay PERFECTLY still. Not easy for long periods of time!

Once they are done spawning remove the female as the male will become extreemly aggressive. He will guard and tend to the nest till the babies ar free swimming. The eggs hatch after about 24 hours. I remember seeing hundreds of tiny tails sticking out of the bottom of the nest. Remove the male 24-48 hours after spawining. Repalce the filter as soon as the fry are free swimming.

Oh, as for the question of which kind is easiest, most are similar. I've heard pearls are a little morre laid back, but never bread them. Any of the more common speices sould be almost equally easy.

I just got a 29 gallon tank and am going to try to breed my blue gouramis soon. What special requirements do I need? And certain type of gravel? PH? What?

I haven't tried to breed my Gourami yet but thought I'd throw out another way to identify them is by the dorsal (top fin). The males is longer and more pointed and the females is shorter and more rounded.

Most reactions

Back