Bloodfin tetras

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My 5 bloodfin tetras always stay near the bottom and dont school as much what should i do. They are with one groumie, 5 danios, some platys, cory catfish, one pleco.

My 5 bloodfin tetras always stay near the bottom and dont school as much what should i do. They are with one groumie, 5 danios, some platys, cory catfish, one pleco.
What size tank are these fish in?

Tetras are shoaling rather than schooling fish. They will form a tight group when they feel threatened or stressed. When they are relaxed and comfortable in their surroundings they are more likely to spread out.

I have 4 shoals of tetras in my 55 gallon tank, Neon, red eye, ember and glow light. Most of the time they swim around in small groups or by themselves. When I move around to much in the room or there is a loud noise they tend to school in their shoals. The ember tend to do it more often probably because they are smaller than the rest. At feeding time they all gather in one big school waiting for me to feed them.

Ya my tetras are new to the tank so it might take some time before the come to the top and eat with the others. When i got my neons it took them like 2 weeks until they started to explore and eat at the top.

I did a silent cycle on my 55 gallon tank so I made sure it was well planted and had hornwort floating. I put in one shoal at a time starting with the red eye tetras and wait a week or so before adding the next, It worked beautifully I didn't lose a fish. At first it was like the train station scene from the movie zootopia, every time I would add a new shoal they would school up in their shoals until they got comfortable. It really was fun to watch.

Most reactions

Back