Blood Red Parrot Cichlid

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ashetto24

Reaction score
Hi all - not sure if this is the right section to ask this but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Blood Red parrots? I was curious as to what types of fish they would be compatible with. I have Serpae Tetras and Tiger Barbs that pretty much hold their own and keep to themselves and I was wondering if they could be compatible with them? Also, if any other fish seem to get along with them pretty well?

Thanks!

This would belong in the hybrid section, as parrots are hybrid fish. Severums, Firemouth's, convict's, ect. would be good tank mates, assuming your tank is big enough.

I have tiger barbs, columbian tetras, a harlequin shark and kirrin parrots as tankmates... but you have to make sure your tank has enough space for territories.

I have unusual tank mates in with my BP....and I do NOT recommend it to anyone who is not familiar with them, but I have African Clawed Frogs in with my BP....it is by far one of the most interest tanks I have ever owned!!!

I plan on getting a 75 gallon tank (currently have the 7 Tiger barbs and 6 Serpae tetras in a 20 gallon for now). When I finally get the 75 is when I plan on stocking with possibly a BP and bumping up the barbs to 10 and the tetras to 8. I love my barbs and tetras and I really would like to avoid rehoming them as I am quite attached.

I've read that the BP's like some dither fish to help them feel more secure in the tank so I'm thinking these would be quite fine as they swim all over the tank with no fear. I'm hoping with the bigger schools they woul keep to themselves...as they pretty much do now.

Of course...my tank situation is a while away so I have a lot of time to research everything before I move/purchase anything.

Thanks for all of the advice so far! :)

From my experience, my tetras and barbs totally ignore my parrots and vice versa. Good luck with your tank :)

i currently have 2 blood red parrots with tetras, barbs, gouramis and a rainbow shark, everyone gets along fine, ive also kept blood parrots with oscars and had no problem either.

All above recommendations are great and it sounds like you should be fine. Keep in mind every fish is it's own fish. You could get a BP that's a killer like a Red Devil but most of them are a lot more mild and go great with different bards, tetras, or New World cichlids. I have 3 BP and I think they wouldn't even chase a molly, platy or guppy around the tank but I am not going to try it.

Most reactions

Back