Bloated Neon Tetra

Apolloefc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my neons died about 10 minutes ago. It's tummy was bloated and it was breathing quite heavily. I have done some reading and suspect that I may have over fed them. The other neons and glo lights are fine. Just this poor little fella. Been bloated the last few days but then today was sluggish.

I feed them twice a day usually 12 hrs apart and all the food is usually eaten with 5 minutes.

What does it sound like to the rest of you?

One of my neons died about 10 minutes ago. It's tummy was bloated and it was breathing quite heavily. I have done some reading and suspect that I may have over fed them. The other neons and glo lights are fine. Just this poor little fella. Been bloated the last few days but then today was sluggish.

I feed them twice a day usually 12 hrs apart and all the food is usually eaten with 5 minutes.

Could be several things, but I doubt overfeeding was the problem... could have been bad diet/constipation (especially if you feed only flake) or any of a number of ailments !

Could be several things, but I doubt overfeeding was the problem... could have been bad diet/constipation (especially if you feed only flake) or any of a number of ailments !

I meant to say that combined with over eating. What else do you recommend to avoid such issues?

Give them a pea or two.

I take a frozen pea and put it into boiling water for 5-10 minutes. The i de-shell it and mush it up and put it in my tank.

The platies wrestle it to the ground, and the neons eat up the scatterd debris, while my pygmy corys eat the small leftovers. =]

This adds fibre to all their diets.

Most reactions

Back