Blackbeard Algae Removal

evanb

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Last week I emptied out one of my tanks. I removed 3 pieces of wood which had BB Algae growing on them.

My question is, how do I remove the algae now that the wood is dry? It just doesn't seem to want to come off. I even tried boiling it.
Will it die and turn crusty and therefore become easy to remove?

Not a big issue but just something I need the answer to.

Thanks!

I have found dead and dry black brush/beard algae to usually pull off of wood, though you might not get all of it. But it will not come alive again when the wood is submerged. And the dead algae is sometimes rather effective on wood or rock.

I have found dead and dry black brush/beard algae to usually pull off of wood, though you might not get all of it. But it will not come alive again when the wood is submerged. And the dead algae is sometimes rather effective on wood or rock.
Ah right ok! That's interesting.
I might just leave it then..

Thanks for the answer

That stuff is a nightmare. Been fighting it for 3 years. It regrows at such a rate i used esha protalon 707 it came in on java moss and another plant fro. Pets at home. But it always returns even bleaching ornaments does not remove it. Tried seachem flourish too

That stuff is a nightmare. Been fighting it for 3 years. It regrows at such a rate i used esha protalon 707 it came in on java moss and another plant fro. Pets at home. But it always returns even bleaching ornaments does not remove it. Tried seachem flourish too
Yeh it's a right pain!
I've always had it in my tanks but I decided that since I'm cleaning this particular tank out I'd attempt to eliminate any algae that was still growing on the wood. I guess it's just something you gotta deal with. Petsathome? You from UK as well (I'm from Herts)? Petsathome is a swearword amongst fish keepers by the way, haha! ;)

Yeh it's a right pain!
I've always had it in my tanks but I decided that since I'm cleaning this particular tank out I'd attempt to eliminate any algae that was still growing on the wood. I guess it's just something you gotta deal with. Petsathome? You from UK as well (I'm from Herts)? Petsathome is a swearword amongst fish keepers by the way, haha! ;)
Yes it is for me now. In my 30 plus years of having fish ive never had it before getting their stuff. Trouble is any plants i have are eaten by the silvers. So i cant get it to look great and now. Everthing has signs of blackbeard although its under control at the moment. The silvers are about 5 inches the femaile is the largest at palm size.

Yeh it's a right pain!
My local one is Ok (ish).

I like the look of BBA on the wood and have been trying to keep it off all other items and plants but letting it grow on the wood. Right now the experiment is not working, I will drop the lighting time and see if that helps. I managed to keep it on the wood only for about a year but I believe that was due to luck rather than my skill as a fish keeper.

Most reactions

Back