[update: babies here] Black molly pregnant or not?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Each product will have its own dose rate due to the different concentration of the active ingredient. You need to find the product and check the directions on the packaging.

Why preziquantel and levamisole? What’s the benefit of levamisole? I see people using fenbendazole, any advantage by using the two you mentioned?

Reason asked was I can order prezi easily on Amazon, but it takes a while for leva to come since I found bad review on Amazon seller so only source is eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fish won't die from intestinal worms any time soon, so you have a few weeks before it needs treating. However, the sooner you treat them the sooner they start to recover.

Praziquantel is one of the few readily available drugs that treats tapeworm. It also treats gill flukes, which most fish have.

Levamisole is what I use because that is all that is available to me. Other medications are available in different countries but some of them kill snails and shrimp so you have to be careful about what other organisms are in the tank when you treat it.

The fish won't die from intestinal worms any time soon, so you have a few weeks before it needs treating. However, the sooner you treat them the sooner they start to recover.

Praziquantel is one of the few readily available drugs that treats tapeworm. It also treats gill flukes, which most fish have.

Levamisole is what I use because that is all that is available to me. Other medications are available in different countries but some of them kill snails and shrimp so you have to be careful about what other organisms are in the tank when you treat it.

So it’s been a while, and this molly gets bigger, one of the largest among all 6 (bought 4 more recently, 2 male 4 female).

A few days ago, my friends’ tetra’s eggs hatched, but I was unable to save most of them, so I put them back to the aquarium this morning. However, at noon I noticed some black tadpoles, haha finally they are here.

Btw, I added some baking soda this morning because my aquarium doesn’t seem to be higher ph based on last water test. Sadly I lost a tetra and a platy who ate some powder.

One question, is my baby molly larger than normal? How is it possible she only dropped 12 with that huge belly blowed?
Here are some pictures.
47f1191375f76bd409b93918dbcb4058.jpg
9c2b4475054569213391f4cee7254bc8.jpg

Betta is a little sad cuz I forbad him from getting close to the babies.

Young mollies have fewer babies than older mollies.

Other fish in the tank will eat baby livebearers so if you have a male Betta, or any other fish in the tank, she might have had more but they got eaten.

Having lots of plants in the tank gives the babies somewhere to hide and there is less chance of them being eaten.

----------------------
If you have to add sodium bicarbonate (bicarb) to the tank to raise the pH, add some bicarb to a container of dechlorinated water and dissolve it completely. Then slowly pour some of that water into the tank near a filter outlet so it gets mixed in quickly.

A safer option than bicarb is to add some limestone, crushed coral or shells to the aquarium. These will help buffer the pH and stop it dropping and you won't have to add bicarb. Just add a small bit of limestone or shells and monitor the pH over a week. If it is stable at the pH you want, then don't add any more. If the pH is still dropping then add a bit more and monitor it over another week. Continue to add and monitor the limestone, shells or coral rubble until you get the desired pH.

Young mollies have fewer babies than older mollies.

Other fish in the tank will eat baby livebearers so if you have a male Betta, or any other fish in the tank, she might have had more but they got eaten.

Having lots of plants in the tank gives the babies somewhere to hide and there is less chance of them being eaten.

----------------------
If you have to add sodium bicarbonate (bicarb) to the tank to raise the pH, add some bicarb to a container of dechlorinated water and dissolve it completely. Then slowly pour some of that water into the tank near a filter outlet so it gets mixed in quickly.

A safer option than bicarb is to add some limestone, crushed coral or shells to the aquarium. These will help buffer the pH and stop it dropping and you won't have to add bicarb. Just add a small bit of limestone or shells and monitor the pH over a week. If it is stable at the pH you want, then don't add any more. If the pH is still dropping then add a bit more and monitor it over another week. Continue to add and monitor the limestone, shells or coral rubble until you get the desired pH.

I was there during the delivery and I took Betta and other large platy out, so what you said could be right, but didn’t apply to my situation :)

The fry is really large at least that’s what I thought. I posted the picture to show the size. Do you think it’s the regular size?

About the ph I’ve read all methods same as you suggested. Next time when I was not in a hurry I’ll for sure to keep my fish safe. It was not so sad because I have seen molly fry. And after terra fry, I’m now used to fish death already. At least I can peacefully accept it.

If the female has fewer young they can be bigger than babies from larger batches. But they look about right.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back