Bga

Fwapp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I haven't been here for ages (since the early part of the year), as my new job has been very time consuming.

I've come home from a week away and found that I've suddenly got a bad case of BGA, nasty green slime everywhere.
It's totally covered my java moss, and is smeared up the glass as well. It was even growing on the roots of my duckweed.

Anyway, my plan is the following.

1. Remove the worst affected plants and throw them. If possible, I'll take unaffected cuttings.
2. Remove any other traces of BGA.
3. Do a 30% water change, and also give the filter a clean.
4. Black out for 3-4 days.

Does this make sense? Have I missed anything out, or is it worth trying a different tack.

I dont have any Myacin, or I would probably follow up the blackout with a weeks dose of this.

I'd appreciate your help, guys!

You need to find out what is causing the outbreak or it may just reappear. I had two outbreaks in my tank due to low nitrates. Once I upped the amount of nitrates in the tank the BGA went after the 3 day black out method.

Before the black out give the filter and gravel a good vacuum.

After the black out do an other 70% water change and check no3 levels as they are the main cause. I had to up my dosing of KNO3 to prevent further outbreaks.

Also try blacking out the substrate line using black tape. All BGA starts in the substrate, so if you prevent as much light as possible...

Poor circulation is another common contributing factor.

Hi

thanks for the quick replies. Good to know I'm on the right track, but I'm interested in why a Nitrate low would have caused it, as I was under the impression that bga is a bacteria, not an algae. Ready to learn, give me the info! :)

Poor circulation? nothing has changed in the last 9 months or so, maintenance has been kept up, but I will check things over just in case. The flow of water in the tank seems to be OK visually, though.

As an aside, I've had nothing but pleasure from this tank, and after a very hectic full week, tatting with my tank is a very effective way of unwinding, and more so on the occasions when I work from home, with my tank being the back drop to my work.

As an aside, I've had nothing but pleasure from this tank, and after a very hectic full week, tatting with my tank is a very effective way of unwinding, and more so on the occasions when I work from home, with my tank being the back drop to my work.

I know that feeling :) there is nothing like stripping a tank down and redoing it to take your mind of things :) its what this hobby should be all about, more pleasure less pain.

Sam

Most reactions

Back