betta fish water temp

cutecotton

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi everyone :) i'm a newbie here, but i found your forum really sueful so i got a few questions of my own for you guys.

this is really teh first time i've had a betta fish properly that i'm rasiing by myself. I want to keep it nice happy :D it's a male placed in one of those classic fish bowls, bare glass bottom and i don't have any plants in it. Basically itl's just in a glass bowl. I feel it those pellet food from the store, but i'm thinking of gtetting it live food for a feast once in a while.

The other altenative (if you think the tank is too small), i have a 10 gallon tank complete with filter and heaters and all that type of stuff, i odn't kno wif should move the male in there, 10 galloon seems a litlte big for such a small fish, but the little glass bowl it's in right nwo seems a little too small :sad:

Another problem i'm having is that the water temperature is never constnat in the little fish bowl. I'ts always dipping under 70 (around 68 - 69) during hte night, and shooting up to 75-ish in the mornign when it's in the sun.

Got any ideas to how i can keep the temp constant?

:hi: to the forum. Introduce yourself in the newbie section.

In the wild, the conditions in the betta's habitat are similar to what you have. However, the dips aren't as great, and the temperatures stay in the high 70s.

I'd suggest putting him in the 10 gallon tank. Despite what some people might say, they are happy in most tanks under a 20. I've had bettas in my 5 gallon, 10 gallon, and bowls, and they prefer somewhat bigger spaces.

By the way, what temp is your 10 gallon at, and what other fish will you add?

HTH

Hi cutecotton :)

Welcome to the forum. :flowers:

Bettas, like all other fish do best with lots of clean, fresh water and stable temperatures. :nod:

I keep my bettas in 20 gallon tanks with cory cats and they seem to get along very well.

Who are the other occupants of your 10 gallon tank? If they are fish that will get along well with your betta, IMHO, it would be best to move him there. :thumbs:

hey guys :D thanks for hte warm welcome :)

currently i dont' have any other fish at all in my house. The 10 gallon tank is sitting dry and dirty in teh basement (i gotta do some serious cleaning if i want to open it). I have one of those motor thingies that blow out bubbles and make water currents, a heater, a nice filter and things like that.

I use to be a big fish lover, had lot sof differnet tropical fishes, but left the tank to dry after they all died :(

Anyhow, i don't kno whwat else to put in the 10 gallon tank with my betta (if i do decide to open it), since most other fish will require filtration and water currents (+ plants and things), but i heard bettas generally perfer still water without currents. :sad:

The betta seems to have clamped fins right now (it's fins are always stuck together unless you put a mirror in front of it, then it'll flare), so for some reason i take it that it's not feeling that happy in a litlte glass bowl.

I've heard that shining a light over hte fishbowl at night might keep the temperature up, but thenthat would waste a crap load of electricity just keeping the light turned on 24/7.

Either way, thanks for the replies, any other tips or suggestions as to whether or not i shoudl open up the 10 gallon? :S my parents aren't too sure about it lol.

If there's a way to keep the filter current on low, do it. :nod:

Also, you might not want to use an air pump because my bettas keep hurting their fins either by the filter or from fast swimming or swimming under the filter.

Try cycling the tank if you can, though if you're going to put the betta in now, you can't do that. :no:

This way you can restart the hobby with mroe fish. :D

yeah i dont' think i'll put the air pump in (that's what i'ts called), except dont 'other fish usaully pefer ot have an air pump?

What does cycling my tank mean? Summer's coming up so i'm thinking of restartin gmy hobby, hopefully i'll be able to stick to it all the way lol :D i have a bad habit of just leaving things after a while..

Most reactions

Back