Betta Filtration

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Floyds mum

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ive recently aquired a male betta and all the info i have on them say they are ok in less than perfect water, i only have a betta in the tank and the tank is small will it be ok with an air stone and doing partial water changes regularly?
ive read that others do it like that

Welcome to TFF,

Just because people say that Bettas can be kept in poor conditions, doesn't mean they should be! The majority of Betta keepers on here keep their fish in heated filtered tanks [My Boy has a 50l tank all to himself and my 12 year old daughter keeps hers in a 30l].
Bettas are beautiful fish and IMO deserve to be treated with as much respect as any other fish.

Try having a read upo on the Betta forum.

Lisa x

There are a lot of people on this forum that have a hobby in bettas alone. I am getting more bettas. An air stone would be fine, eventhough it would be no use to them. You could set up an UGF they seem to make the water SUPER clear. Partial water changes are a must. You should do a 40-50% water changes a week with an UGF, hope this helps.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have a hobby in bettas alone. I am getting more bettas. An air stone would be fine, eventhough it would be no use to them. You could set up an UGF they seem to make the water SUPER clear. Partial water changes are a must. You should do a 40-50% water changes a week with an UGF, hope this helps.
yeah thanx my boy is exactly like the one in ur pic only he has a much darker blue head :D
He doesnt seem to be eating much, ive tried betta pellets and normal tropical flakes but he isnt interested, havnt tried bloodworms or tubifex yet, any help? is it normal?

when did you get your betta? they often go into a bit of a sulk when introduced into a new tank. just keep offering him food. he'll eat when hes settled in and hungry.
as for filtration it is preferred. keeps the water chemistry better (more stable) with less work for the owner.
what size tank have you got him in. the size will depend on how often to do your water changes. if it is small and no filter, be prepared for several partial changes a week.
all the best

Ideally a filter and heater are what a betta should have.

But they do okay in tanks without filtration as long as you do regular partial water changes, i would say no less than every third day.

As long as the water is clean and at the right temp he should be fine.

How big is his tank?

Most reactions

Back