Betta chasing tank mates

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CriticalPrimary

Reaction score
Had a 27 liter tank (7 US gallons) for 4 months. 2 platys, 4 tetras, but wanted a Betta for a long time. Asked a few friends who are quite into fish if I was pushing the size and they said I've got plenty of space for a Betta. Went down to (what I've been told by many is) a reputable store and asked and they said sure that's enough space but not many more (no more would be perfect) and sent me home with a lovely Betta. Within 30 minutes of being put in the tank (after a nice long acclimatization) he seemed pretty happy, even making himself a bubble nest. However he's taken to chasing the two platys (doesn't bother the tetras), they've both spent the last 2 days hiding in the corners of the tank, behind plants, usually separate. He's pretty relentless, I'd say spends nearly half his time chasing them. I've paid very close attention and neither are going anywhere near his nest, disturbing him in any way. The last day they've barely moved other than when being chased out their corners or to eat.

Have I overstocked? What should I do? The store told me he's likely being territorial over his nest and I should destroy it and stop him building another, but I'm worried this might just piss him off even more. I've also got a large net breeder thing coming, but I don't know if this is worth trying...

If I have overstocked, what size would be good for this many fish? Not just wanting the minimum

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

To answer your question...yes, I am afraid you are way overstocked for this sized tank. It is not sufficient space for platies even alone. I do not know the tetras, but you have a problem here in that being a shoaling species, meaning they live in very large groups and must have at the very least six but more would be better. Some species need more than this, some get way too large for this tank, some can get very nasty (aggressive)...we need to know the species to pin this down. Or if they are very small species, a few more of them might be OK but not with the platies.

And certainly not with a male Betta. Betta are solitary fish, and should never be maintained more than one Betta in the tank (a female sorority is another issue). So if you want a Betta, and a 27 liter (7 gallon) tank is fine for a single Betta, return the other fish. But if you intend any other fish, these or others more suited, the Betta should not be in this tank. His actions show he is not pleased with the other fish present, so this is only going to get worse. They will be dead before too many weeks have passed. Unless the tetras decide to fin nip the Betta, another reason not to combine these fish, and that could kill him.

Do not use breeding nets for any of these fish, that is cruel and will severely stress the fish.

The advice from this store is definitely not accurate. This unfortunately is common with many stores. Never trust their advice unless you can confirm it with knowledgeable aquarists like the members here.

My advice is to catch the Tetras and Platies and return them to the store the Betta will kill the other fish.

Most reactions

Back