Betta Being Bullied?

fishflakes

Reaction score
Hi. I'm quite new to the hobby and have recently introduced a Betta into our tank. We have nine other fish (2 x purple danios, 5 x neon tetra, 2 x balloon mollys) and although I havent seen any other fish picking on him, the fins look like his had a few nips. I have been watching them over the last 24 hours but I can't see any of the other fish having a go at him - they all swim around past each other happily. We only bought him on Sunday, and although I know he'd had a few nibbles in the pet shop, I think the fins look worse. Does anyone have any experience of this? What can we do? It would be a shame to have to take him back but I obviously can't keep him if it continues. If he is being picked on, who is the most likely suspect? Should we consider moving him to another tank although I think I read that they would not like to be isolated? Thanks for any help.

sorry, meant to say, it's a Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta Splendens)

Danios and Tetras are fin nippers.

Please remove the Betta immediately to another tank.

If it were me personally in this situation, I would keep the Betta and remove the others, exchanging them for Corys :)

danios (purple! their glowfish, illegal in the UK) and tetras will nip fins! and the ballon mollies will or maybe attacked by him because of there long flowing fins, which he may mistake for another betta, go out to the LFS buy a 3+gallon tank a 25watt heater for a tank in the range of 3-5gallons maybe 50 watts, an air driven filter and a light unit*optional*. and cycle it and put him in there on his own.

male bettas do not fair well in comunnity aquariums unless stock is chosen carefully, so follow the steps above and hell be happy, do you have a breeding trap? put him in their for the time being make sure its a relatively large one as-well.

(maybe they're not purple danios then!! - they look very silvery but in the shop they looked like there was a faint purple tint)

I dont have another tank set up, but a friend is going to help me out - they've recently moved their fish to a new tank and the old one is still running. In the meantime, I'll find somewhere new for either him or the others. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. With your fish list I would suspect the zebra danios and the mollies. Some mollies can be quite aggressive and the zebras are fast and a bit nippy. I have never had troubles from neons but I'm no expert on those fish either.

Most reactions

Back