Best Nano Tank Light?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kieran01pd2016

Reaction score
Hey TFF :)

I recently impulse bought a small 5g tank at a garage sale. It came with a filter and heater for $10... couldn't say no xD

I've scaped it out, but the only think I'm missing is a light. Right now I'm using some random Ikea lamp I had lying around, but I don't really think it's bright enough + it's hard to see the back end of the tank which probably also means it's not getting enough light back there. It's going to be a shrimp tank so would like to be able to see them moving around freely.

Any recommendations for cheap nano tank lights? I'm not fussed at all, even if it's just a repurposed reading light or something that would probably be better than what I have now.

Here's a photo for reference:

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

PS: it looks brighter in the photos because of the camera, it's about 30% darker irl.

I use Hgger lights for my 5 gals and they are easy to find on amazon.au. It's the 14 watt size you'll need for your tank.

I've got the 14 watt version of this on my 5 gal, but can't seem to find the 14 watt version on amazon.au.

Other options:-

I think any of them would be fine with your set up. More demanding plants may need a better light but I grow vallis, egeria densa, ludwigia palustris, anubias, buce, rotala rotundifola and L sessiliflora all grow great.

What a good deal you got at the garage sale. I also was lucky enough to find a 2.5 gal aquarium along with a filter and a light for $5, and then I traded some plants for 15 shrimp so I got a complete set up with shrimp for $5. I swapped the filter for a sponge filter I had laying around and bought a cheap piece of glass so I would have a cover.

TopFin Flexible Nano Aquarium LED Light Let me tell you about the light though. I’m happy with it. I happened to see it at PetSmart when I was walking the aisles one afternoon. It cost $20 new and it is magnetic to hold it in place, has a bendable stem and the light itself can be repositioned. A pic of my little aquarium being lit by that light is attached.

I also have a not-so-affordable Fluval Plant 2.0 programmable light controllable using your smart phone on my 5.5 gal. It is a great light, if you have deep pockets for your aquatic budget.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 6

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back