Banjo Catfish -- Need Info

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

C

canyon_tears

I was just ondering if anyone has banjo catfish. I find them cute in a wierd sort of way and was wondering about other people's experiences with them.

I have them, though the casual observer would never know it :lol: They spend almost their entire lives burried in the substrate and are reluctant to move even when threatened, they are so dopey that they can be picked up and held in a hand and they still wont move. They really are a catfish for serious catfish nuts as they must be one of the most boring fish on the planet. :lol:

Though for someone looking for a small peaceful non predatory oddball they may well be the ideal fish.

A few websites I've seen say they eat smaller fish. Is this true??

They may eat very small fish such as young tetras or guppies but fish over 1/2" will be safe.

CFC said:
I have them, though the casual observer would never know it :lol: They spend almost their entire lives burried in the substrate and are reluctant to move even when threatened, they are so dopey that they can be picked up and held in a hand and they still wont move. They really are a catfish for serious catfish nuts as they must be one of the most boring fish on the planet. :lol:

Though for someone looking for a small peaceful non predatory oddball they may well be the ideal fish.
I agree with you. Very dopey and non-threatening. Mine, however, stays out in the same place. I think he thinks he is hiding, while out in full view........(having plants helps since he is in the plants) I thought he was dead once by the bizzare way he was laying, but when I got the net to get him out he finally moved a little. Neat guy though. He's not eaten anyone yet, and I have had him quite a while.....good luck if you get one, and let us know when you do! Mine likes to eat shrimp pellets in case you were wondering. I don't see him eat them, but when I get up in the morning, they are gone from his spot. I feed him right before I go to bed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back