banded ctenopoma

Briarmoor

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I picked up some fish books at a used book store and found some really nice fish within. I happened upon a West African labyrinth fish called a Ctenopoma Fasciolaturm (banded ctenopoma). Anyone herr every kept one or knew anyone who has some? I wonder if they are hard to obtain? They look like a very durable fish, inbetween the Dwarf and 3-spot variety of gourami in size, around 3 inches the book says. They are a steel blue/gray color with white banding (if that is the right term) on the fins. Head not unsimilar to a 3-spot head.

So many fish, so few tanks, so little time. I want them all! :drool:

Hey, see my Paradise Fish!

P.

A new shop I just started going to the owner keeps them. He keeps quite a few more rare/unusual labyrinth fish. I could get a pair if I'd liked but since he's got so many types of labyrinth fish to choose from and I've only got a certain amount of tanks I've got to choose carefully :-(

He said they are wonderful fish. From looking at pictures I think they are awesome looking :D

The Banded Bush Fish is now considered to be in the genus Microctenopoma along with a few other members of the group (so it is Microctenopoma fasciolatum). They are great fish, remaining relatively small (about 3 1/2 inches or so) and are tough enough to hold their own against most other fish while not being particularly aggressive. I've got a pair of these fish which have not yet spawned for me.

One caution, however.....there are a couple of color forms of this fish. The one you see most often in the fish books is the 'blue' form which is, indeed, a spectacular fish. More often available around here (Texas) is the 'brown' form which, while having a subtle beauty of its own, isn't as pretty as the 'blue' form.

Here's my young male Microctenopoma fasciolatum. The body coloration is rather drab but the fins are beautiful.

Mfasciolatum7s.jpg

NOTE: See this thread for some pictures of some other Bush Fish:

Oddball labyrinth fish thread

-Joe

Most reactions

Back