Assortment of random newbie questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OrkyBetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
1) Can my tetras eat frozen bloodworms?

2) Is Melafix a good thing to add to the water when adding fish?

3) Is clove oil humain?

4) Can incandescant light bulbs increase water temp? I think my water temp goes up when the lights go on.

1) If you thaw the bloodworms first in a cup of tank water.

2) I wouldn't!

3) Some people say it is. Others don't. I think it seems to be one of the quietest ways to euthanize, but should be used ONLY as a last resort.

4) Yes. If you've ever touched an incandescent bulb after it's been on for a while, you would have noticed that it does get mighty warm. That provides another heat source to warm up a tank.

Thanks. About the Melafix, I was just wondering because the back of the bottle sais "When adding fish, add 1 tsp to every 10 US gallons" or something like that.

It just seems like unnecessary extra medicine, and an unnecessary expense. I don't use medicine in any of my tanks if I don't have to, and I've heard of too many Melafix (and other medications, for that matter) accidents to use it without a good deal of prudence.

Stress coat is good when adding fish. Melafix is good for fin rot and damage from attack.

Tetras will eat anything, no sweat on the bloodworms.(Defrost them like Kiarra said)

Lights will raise temps in some cases. Leave the lid up if you have no confirmed jumpers. Some fish jump, or are prone to. Research your stock.

(My balas and hatchets are jumpers so I keep a tight lid on things)

you say that when you put the light on the temperature goes up, how do you actually control the temperature in the tank?

I'm using an Eheim 2128 thermo which has a temperature probe. If the water heats up above the set level, the heater switches off, and on again when needed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back