Asking Which Dslr Camera Is Good

Thanks guys for all of the wonderful replies!

I will look at the links supplied later in the day when I get time.

Thanks!

-FHM

Personally I use ancient nikkor 55mm f3.5 macro lens (manual focus) with Nikon d300 body, minimal focusing distance of about 28cm
usually apperature of f8-f16 (gives bit more focused space allowing for manual focusing inaccuracy) with times ~1/60s
With such settings atm I use built-in flash but thinking about using external spot lights instead
Lens was something around 20£ from ebay
camera body wise - anything capable of handling that lens would be good as I use max ISO200

few examples

Olympus's are easy to use and have a lot of good auto settings i have a 520-e or something like that and it;s great. Loads of settings if you do learn what they all do ! lol . Costs about £350-400 with lense.

What sort of parameters are you dealing with, you say 1/15th slowest shutter, ISO of 400-800, but what about f-stop?

those shots I linked to were all taken on f/2.8, wide open at 105mm like yours
ideally I'd like to close it a bit, but you can still see plently of detail

another idea might be to suspend a flash on a hotshoe adapter (cheap) above the tank aiming downwards to give you more light, but without any reflections
I havent tried it but it might work :)

my fish dont dart around too much so I can get away with 1/15 on a tripod with a remote release

What sort of parameters are you dealing with, you say 1/15th slowest shutter, ISO of 400-800, but what about f-stop?

those shots I linked to were all taken on f/2.8, wide open at 105mm like yours
ideally I'd like to close it a bit, but you can still see plently of detail

another idea might be to suspend a flash on a hotshoe adapter (cheap) above the tank aiming downwards to give you more light, but without any reflections
I havent tried it but it might work :)

my fish dont dart around too much so I can get away with 1/15 on a tripod with a remote release

Great idea with the flash above the tank, I need to get a horseshoe adapter from ebay for my Canon 430 flash unit and give it a go :)
I'll make sure the custom tank I'll be getting in a month also has t5 lighting fitted, 2x54W 45" T5 tubes on a almost 5ft tank should help out I would imagine

I use a Nikon D3000 which is their new entry level DSLR. I have taken lots of very good closeup shots just with the standard kit lens like the one in my sig, and also I have a topic in the fish photos section called "New Camera :)" which shows lots of the shots I have taken, all with the standard kit lens.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back