Are there different Betta species?

Prizm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I came across a non-English site with pictures of what I think may be different species of bettas--not different color types, but perhaps a different kind of fish that is closely related! This is the link: http://www.israquarium.co.il/Fish/Betta/BettaA_B.html

Along the side of the page are pictures of the different fish. And so now I am wondering if there are more than one kind of betta fish out there besides their tail types ?

Wow! Why aren't they ever seen in LFS? Some of them look very exotic!

Prizm said:
Wow! Why aren't they ever seen in LFS? Some of them look very exotic!
Most of them are wild species that just aren't seen very often in the hobby... imbellis are about the most commonly found species next to splendens (splendens being what we all think of as a "betta")
I just bought a fish that is supposedly smaragdina from my LFS, but I'm waiting for someone to ID it for me so I'll know for sure... it definitely looks like it has wild blood to me :)

Synirr,
If anything bring him to Dallas with you next week and Gerald Griffin can give you a positive ID (a pic will work too) By the way, we have three pairs of smaragdina registered already ;)

Prizm~ have a blast looking through them all. Check out macrostoma :hey: :drool: The waters and canals are loaded with different bettas, many haven't even been discovered.

wuvmybetta said:
Synirr,
If anything bring him to Dallas with you next week and Gerald Griffin can give you a positive ID (a pic will work too) By the way, we have three pairs of smaragdina registered already ;)
You don't say?? Sounds like I'm going to have to buy myself some more tanks! :lol:
Hopefully at least one of those pairs will go for a price I can afford...

I posted a pic of my new guy in a different thread. He's very.... coppery :blink:

Most reactions

Back