Are My Levels Ok?

goldsangel

Reaction score
Hi All...I have had an aquarium for about a year now, and wanted to get feedback on whether or not my levels are ok...I still consider myself a beginner.

I have a 10 gallon glass aquarium, with 5 fancy guppies, one mystery snail, an African Dwarf frog, and yesterday, I added 3 red platys.

I tested my levels today and they are: PH is 7.5 to 8 (couldn't really tell which), NH3 + NH4 = 0, NO2 < 0.3 mg/L, GH = 12 and KH = 3.

Are these levels ok? I need to know if I'm doing ok, because I would like to get a larger aquarium, but don't want to do so until I'm sure I'm doing ok.
Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forums. If you stay here, you will learn much!

I think in your case, a larger aquarium is definitely good! You may be just a tad overstocked with those platies you added. I suggest upgrading.

Your pH reading isn't too bad...

Your ammonia reading is good.

Your NO2 (nitrite) reading should be 0. It is most likely not 0 because of the platies you just added. Your biological filter should catch up in a few days. Until then, do 10 or 15% water changes daily to keep it low.

I don't know anything about GH and KH, I'm sorry.

I would also consider a bigger tank, maybe a 20 gallon.

Though you consider yourself new to the hobby, the smallest tanks tend to be the hardest to keep healthy, so I would definately move up to a 20 or so. Being inexperienced or uncertain would not be a reason to stick with a smaller tank in this case.

Just keep all of your gravel and keep your filter. Do not rise them with tap water, just transfer them over, let the dust (and poop) settle and then use a gravel vaccuum later to clean things up if you are surprised by the stuff that you unsettle in the move.

-Nerwign

Most reactions

Back