aquarium growth

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Vicki

Reaction score
We have a 10 gallon tank. It has started having a brown looking growth on most of the surfaces. We have cleaned it well, weekly, changed filters each week, and done all we know how. It continues to return. We would like to know what it is, what causes it and how to get rid of it. Thanks.

Hi Vicki,
I'm sure brown algae is due to lack of light, Rose may correct this but I'm sure I'm on the right lines.
Could you tell me your lighting conditions for the tank. :)

What you have is called Diatoms. Diatoms are a type of algae with a hard shell. So using algae killing products is useless on this. What causes it is low light levels and excess nutrients in the water. The nutrients can come from food, not enough water changes, too little of a water change, dead fish, dead plants. Read this article a friend of mine wrote and get some ideas from that on how to control it. The article is called Effective Algae Control. That should get you pointed in the right direction. Rose 8)

How did poor water conditions get into your last night Davy boy and what does ay in bed mean ?
Yeeeehah! Only one line and I got ya TWICE :)

I have some brown algae stuff it rubs off on the stones on the bottom of my tank and also a bit on the filter. I think it is due to excess nitrAtes (my tank has just cycled).

I have heard that an otto or two will clear this up for me is this true?

William

Also what is your opinions on plecos as cleaners?

Just read the article! Guess I am off to get some otos!

What is water sprite? is there a scientific name for it?

Davy I will install a spellchecker soon honest!!

William

I also read somewhere that you shouldn't change your filter cartiridges (sp?) that often because they contain good bacteria that your tank needs. Is this true?

It is partially true.  You don't want to get rid of the benificial bacteria.  You must rinse the filters in AQUARIUM water from your tank just don't use tap or any other ordinary water.  This will keep bacteria on the sponges :)

William

*Edit* This is for existing filters that you want to clean! I didn't read your question properly!

I've only ever changed the cartridges once every blue moon. With regular cleaning the media should last a long time.

If you want to change any media I suggest swaping half. Keep the old half as it is, this will help the new media get established. Once this is ready the other half can be added. Thus a new media with no side effects :)

An even easier way is to use 2 completely different filters. You can change out one while leaving the benificial bacteria in the other.

Most reactions

Back