Aqua One Aquastyle 850 Noisy Outlet

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

stoneagedinosaur

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all - help neede

Fish tank newby - just bought and set up tank today. From the outlet there are loads of bubbles and a noise like a toilet cistern continually refilling.

Just wondered if there are any easy solutions before the missus launches it out of the window!!

Would a bit of sponge in the outlet pipe fix it, does it matter about the height of the outlet pipe from the filter unit? I currently have it flush but have had it under and over but STILL ALL THAT NOISE! I expected a bit of bubbly noise, but this is ridiculous. Also bubbles appearing under the outlet bit

Thanks for your time

Hi all - help neede

Fish tank newby - just bought and set up tank today. From the outlet there are loads of bubbles and a noise like a toilet cistern continually refilling.

Just wondered if there are any easy solutions before the missus launches it out of the window!!

Would a bit of sponge in the outlet pipe fix it, does it matter about the height of the outlet pipe from the filter unit? I currently have it flush but have had it under and over but STILL ALL THAT NOISE! I expected a bit of bubbly noise, but this is ridiculous. Also bubbles appearing under the outlet bit

Thanks for your time

This is in the wrong section (unless you are selling it) so prepared to have it moved! :lol:

The noise you are refering to is the venturi action. It is when air is sucked into a water stream (like the bath plug-hole) Just get a piece of coarse filter media about an inch thick and just smaller than the chamber that the water exits and lay it over the hole.
It will not only stop the noise but it will become an extra home for more friendly bacteria.

Just make sure you check it regularily so it doesn't get clogged. (If it does get clogged it will not overflow as the chamber is designed that if the hole is blocked as the chamber floods the water will still exit over the edge and back into the tank :good: )

May sound silly but how far up have you filled the tank?

Have you filled to below where the outlet lets the water back out?

Or is the noise coming from where the water drops down from the filters into the outlet?

EDIT: I'm presuming that it has the up and over filtering system usually associated with aqua aquariums.

Or is the noise coming from where the water drops down from the filters into the outlet?

EDIT: I'm presuming that it has the up and over filtering system usually associated with aqua aquariums.

No - outlet is defo underwater

Noise does seem to be where it drops from filters back into tank. and indeed it's an up and over job. Will be trying the bit o spongey stuff solution!

Thanks for helps

Thanks for that Dorsey - I'll give it a go

No - outlet is defo underwater

Noise does seem to be where it drops from filters back into tank. and indeed it's an up and over job. Will be trying the bit o spongey stuff solution!

Thanks for helps

Thanks for that Dorsey - I'll give it a go

Well it worked on mine for the 2 years I ran it. Like you I thought OMG when I first got it :rolleyes:

Just to follow up - got some Polywool from the fish shop and shoved it in the outlet section as it seemed the easiest/cheapest way of testing the hypothesis. And what do you know - job's a good 'un - No more bubbles and noise from there...

Now to sort out that #41#### Power head - I'd like to see pictures of how you sorted that one Dorsey. All things considered, am pleased with the tank - can't wait to get some fish in it. Any suggestions for hardy fish that will forgive my beginners mistakes? (Yes I know that's in the wrong section!) :ninja:

Be very careful using polywool as it will glog very quickly which is why I used and recommended coarse sponge media.

What's up with the powerhead?
If it's vibrating it is either touching ar the strainer end or at the top. Try moving the spraybar back and forth very slowly until it gets to a position that it goes quiet

Be very careful using polywool as it will glog very quickly which is why I used and recommended coarse sponge media.

What's up with the powerhead?
If it's vibrating it is either touching ar the strainer end or at the top. Try moving the spraybar back and forth very slowly until it gets to a position that it goes quiet

Yay the coarse stuff is a bit better, polywool was best but was either too thin and ended up in the tank or clogged :X

Sorted the powerhead and it's running like a dream (so far)

Most reactions

Back