Apistos and Rams

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fish_r_great

Especially African Cichlids
Reaction score
Will they be okay I'd probably get a pair of Apistos and I already have rams and I just wanted to hear others opinions before getting them. I could possibly move them to another tank (I have an empty ten if thats big enough) while spawning. Would also like to add so far my Rams don't seem week at all. I put drigtwood in and had to get of schedule for water changes and they were happy and healthy through this small crisis.

If not other suggestions for a cichlid. Keyholes or a krib or 2?

-THX

sorry, having some trouble understanding...

did you wish to put your rams and apsitos in the same 10 gallon perminantly?

or did you want to know if you could breed them in there?

i'm probably jjust a bit slow today, school work keeps me up late now :crazy:

The 10 is for if I had to put the Apistos in there from my community tank #2 that is if i can keep rams. I think I've gotten the ok from you doggfather but wanted others opinions too. :D

SRY

you don't have tank sizes in your sig.

i'd be wary of putting kribs and rams together -- water requirements quite different, for one thing. not sure about keyholes, but I think they are more like kribs than rams, water wise. apistos are probably more like rams -- south american and all. i think something different about the way rams breed, or they would be apistos, too. not sure how they all get on together, tho.

still think size would have to be known. you had some other fish in your ram tank, but i can't remember what they were.

i'd be wary of putting kribs and rams together -- water requirements quite different, for one thing

that is true, but now due to breeding, fish can tolerate a wider range of conditions. so they should be ok, IMO

i'd be wary of putting kribs and rams together -- water requirements quite different, for one thing

that is true, but now due to breeding, fish can tolerate a wider range of conditions. so they should be ok, IMO

Well, water conditions was just one thing that made me wary. Not knowing the size of the tank was the second thing. Tankmates is the third.
Tank #2 Tropical/planted tank (2 1/2 watts per gallon. I got a compact flourescent!! :)
1 RTBS
3 Yoyo loaches
4 threadfin rainbows
2 German Blue Rams
1 BBG
Hopefully Soon!
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 plec of some sort
A pair of apistos? Can't decide if I want double full red cockatoo or orange cockatoo
1 Badis

If this is the tank, and still not knowing its size, though I should think it is a large one, I would not want to add a pair of kribs to the mix. I don't know what level the badis prefers, but the I' m pretty certain that the shark, the loaches, the ghost, and the plec (not so much the plec) will all compete for bottom space and caves with a pair of kribs, who will undoubtedly be aggressive and territorial. To me, it would just seem easier to pick a better combination rather than go looking for trouble. :/ Personally, I think the A. cacatuoides (cockatoo apisto) are a safer choice. No offense, Dogfather.

No offense, Dogfather.

no offense taken ;)

if he really wanted to he could keep kribs, but i agree, Apistos are the safer choice

Most reactions

Back